Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:21 am 

http://paladin-pressblog.com/

Always liked Loren Christensen's stuff. Great advice and an interesting blog in general.

Josann
mindbodycoach.org

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:36 pm 

Hello, Josann! Always a pleasure.

First and foremost... Loren Christensen is the real deal. He is sport karate practitioner as well as LEO and RBSD expert. I've enjoyed reading books he has coauthored.

Next...

Just for Men: another magic pill :wink:

Hey... I can give him grief because I used the Clairol magic pill to maintain hair color on top of my head (still have it) and the face. After my older son bitterly complained that his friends thought his father was a Mexican, I let Nature happen. Shaved the stash (good bye '80s), let the gray come out, and grew a goatee. Fortunately I'm a scientist, and gray hair gives us the illusion of intelligence. 8) In any case... Fun to poke at a fellow athlete - particularly when I've been there, done that.

Back to serious...

I was reading his routine, and noticed that his weight training is very bodybuilding oriented. I married a competitive bodybuilder while being influenced by UVa's strength coach (and former world heavyweight powerlifting champion). There are many venues in this whole weights thing. Bodybuilding is different from weight training (a means to an end) is different from Olympic lifting is different from Powerlifting is different from aerobics with weights is different from sports-specific training with weights (e.g. training Sanchin with jars).

With time I have learned to go very "old school" and tap into the lessons taught by Olympic weight lifting. I spend a lot less time worrying about how my biceps/triceps look (seen many professional athletes sporting massive guns???) and more time developing the entire body. Core strength and "essential synergy" are key concepts I work on, as well as the NEUROmuscular training you develop when triggering the dynamic stretch reflex (e.g. in clean-and-jerk). If you watch some of the MMA folks and the methods they're using, you see interesting exercises popping up like the Turkish get-up.

Plus... if that midsection isn't strong ALL the way around, then one small mistake can herniate a disc. That's the beginning of the end of a martial career. One of the key goals of weight training is to galvanize the body against injury. It's very similar to what we do when pounding forearms and legs. It keeps us training longer and relatively injury free. More time practicing means better martial arts and more fun to be had.

Otherwise... absolutely great article.

And there's absolutely *NO* harm in having some show with the go. If Loren is sporting big guns, well it may make the bad guy think twice, and the girls on the beach think thrice. And that's a very good thing. 8)

- Bill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:59 pm 

Definitely more important as we get 30,40,50,60. I turn 60 in 2 months so I can relate to all of this.

Gotta stay in shape...only got 40 years left.

Josann
mindbodycoach.org

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:24 pm 

Josann wrote:
I turn 60 in 2 months so I can relate to all of this.

Your posts don't look a day older than 29. :P

We come from the same generation, my friend. You might want to read Malcolm Gladwell's book "Outliers." You are in the company of people like Bill Gates (founder of Microsoft) and William Nelson Joy (co-founder of Sun Microsystems). It explains why I do what I do, and why I'm a token white guy in a sea of hyper-smart Asians. ;-)

- Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:33 am 

http://joeforamerica.com/2013/12/votd-12-28-13/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:02 pm 

Van Canna wrote:
http://joeforamerica.com/2013/12/votd-12-28-13/

A ton of man-hours put into that beautiful piece.

I also very much like that they had a section on screw-ups. About 60% of the way through I kept thinking of all the hours of pain and suffering that went into the misses before they had the makes. And wouldn't you know... the author of the video was of like mind. Go figure! :-)

Very inspiring. Thanks for that, Van!

- Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

Wow. . . what a fantastic video.