Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The kitchen knife
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:58 am 

http://forcenecessarytv.blogspot.com/20 ... knife.html

Quote:
It is well known in the knife and crime business that many if not most knife attacks in the civilized world are done with single-edge, kitchen cutlery. It is usually an incredibly high statistic- like about 99.9%! Claim some police agencies around the globe. I always question these numbers but, when so many diverse sources claim such high numbers, there fire inside that smoke. Note the term civilized word, not some island in the Pacific that still worship coke bottles as Gods, parts of Africa, Asia and so forth.

Yes, kitchen knives. Why? One reason is they are just so darn handy in restaurants and homes when tempers flare, or where criminals crawl, etc. Keep in mind that many burglars, home invaders and rapists use the kitchen knives of their victim, so as not to be caught roaming the streets with a big knife before or after the crime. They break in and go straight to the kitchen. So a fair number of home invasions and rapes are with kitchen knives. (I like to say in classes, if you wake up to a the sound of your silverware crashing at night? This is not a good thing.)

Bump! So if your secreted gun is not handy in your home, or you don't have a gun, you might well race to your kitchen and grab…brace yourself…the biggest knife you can find. Even if you feel a little shaky at home for some reason, you might well carry a kitchen knife back to the bedroom with you. It won't be the small, paring knife. You won't pass over your giant carving knife to select a small steak knife because it…resembles your pocket folder, will you? No, you will get the la grande heifer model.

Even the criminal grabs your biggest knife in the kitchen drawer or the butcher block, if just for the intimidation factor. In many a desperate moment you will be using a big or even Bowie knife-sized, edged-weapon to scrap with a rapist or a criminal. Learning to handle and move with and against a big knife is quite probable and important, and should neither be ignored or ridiculed.

We live in a mixed-weapon world. A hand, stick, knife, gun world. Your likes or dislikes of weapons, your local laws or your personal preferences may not count or matter in an emergency fight for your life. If you dislike big knives or want small knife training, vice versa, or want training in just one very slim, specific style, size or shape of a knife, you may be missing the sharpest point of what a real emergency means, no pun intended.

Post subject: Re: The kitchen knife
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:50 am 

Based on my experience, In the UK most knife crimes are committed either with a small kitchen knife, i.e a paring knife of about a 4 inch blade, or a small craft knife. I am not surprised that this is similar world wide, even in the US, where knife collecting is widely accepted as a hobby.
The reason being is that criminals are not collectors and they see the knife as just a means to an end. It is their willingness to use the knife that is the most disturbing element and also their ignorance at potentially lethal target areas such as the thigh. As with most criminal activities it is very difficult to get any worthwhile statistics as governments don't usually collect or collate them in a way that is usefull for self defence instrucors, so I agree with this guys viewpoint but he probably doesn't have any statistical evidence either

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:41 am 

Quote:

We live in a mixed-weapon world.
[/quote]

I got to write that one down. Damn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:53 am 

This should never leave your side. And it can be fired single/double action and from your jacket pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:56 am 

This should never leave your side.