Speaking of settings

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Speaking of settings

Postby Van Canna » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:06 am

You will have difficulty thinking straight locked in the affects of the cocktail, you won't remember with accuracy in your agitation of the moment...you will be intimidated by the police interrogators...they will say you will be locked up in jail if don't give them any information...you will feel terrible and you just want to go home...and you will start the logorrhea process without even realizing what you are saying as your brain and your tongue will suffer a disconnect...
if they say they have to arrest you and interrogate you at the police station, go with them and put up with the nonsense. Better to spend a couple nights in jail than twenty years in the penitentiary.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:13 am

After a high stress situation most people tend to try to decompress by getting diarrhea of the mouth.....don't do it, you won't explode if you can't "get it out". Wait for counsel.

If not you may find yourself incarcerated for a stretch with hundreds of the kinds of bottom feeder you just put down.

Point out witnesses, show evidence such as shell casings, your adversaries weapon, where he was, where you were etc and so on.....demand the crime scene be secured if in a public place.

You may be arrested, don't freak out.

You WILL be going for a ride to the cop shop in any case, don't freak out. Go over the details of the incident again and again in your head like playing a video over and over so that you can replay it for your attorney in detail.

For the duration of that day and possibly the next day you will be somewhat "incarcerated". Don't freak out. Drink their coffee, eat their donuts, don't talk to ANYONE without your attorney present.

Remember, the cops want you to talk more than any attorney would say is in your best interests.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:15 am

REMEMBER that the police themselves are not required to give immediate details of the incident. Additionally, they are allowed to have an attorney present and a representative of their Union BEFORE they make a statement. Some Agencies don't require a detail of the shooting for up to 72 hours. As stated above, the police are not your friend.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:17 am

I was told to say 1) i was afraid for my life, then say 2) i do not feel very well , i think i need to go to hospital. they have to take you to hospital where you can remain hassle free until attorney arrives.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:41 am

You are your own protector and anyone who believes otherwise is living in a fantasy world.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:54 am

You will be subjected to lengthy, high-pressure interrogations...no matter what you say about not wanting to talk.

You will not feel well after the event, you won't be faking the not feeling well...you need medical care to get you back to normal...so tell the truth about not feeling well...you might even be in the verge of vomiting from the effects of the huge adrenaline dump...tell them you want to be taken to a hospital.
Van
Van Canna

Postby hthom » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:12 pm

There are so much valuable advice on this forum that Van really should start charging :wink: The preceding information on after-the-fact or after the police arrived, are just too important not to know although it may be difficult to remember due to yourself being in shock. I think I am qualified to offer a few more words because of my personal experience.

Let's go backward a bit, before you execute that marvelous technique or pull the trigger because you think you need to defend yourself, you must first protect yourself and be able to defend yourself from situations Van posted above.

[quote][Hope I am not going off the subject, but I thought it might be wise to always remember what Van mentioned numerous times elsewhere, and I had repeated numerous times in my seminars, that you will most likely be in trouble one way or another if you throw that karate technique or fire that shot, even if you thought you were in fear of your life. Even if the court finds you not guilty, imagine the cost, time, agonies and family suffering you will have to go through.
/quote]

Speaking of settings, here are a few points I usually mention in my seminars. Should be similar whether it is a weapon or non-weapon situation although I am speaking from an empty-hands self defense standpoint:

- For heaven sake do not throw that first punch/kick if at all possible (For gun carriers, do not pull out that pistol unless you are positive you need to shoot, which means to kill, by the way).

- First thing you need to do is make sure there are witnesses. Most places have security cameras and/or folks with video cameras. If you think a self defense situation (meaning using your trained skill) is unavoidable, you must try to get yourself recorded of your attempts to deescalate, to walk away, and to avoid hurting him. If you do not see any witnesses or cameras, don't worry, chances are there are security cameras aiming right at you. And if there are really no cameras or witnesses, at least you did your part on trying to avoid the situation.

- Of all the talks on "preemptive strikes", yes, I teach it too. There are situations that a preemptive strike may be the best way to save yourself, but, please don't do it if you can avoid it at all. It won't look good on the video, or coming from the witnesses.

May you never need to go through this stuff.
hthom

Postby Van Canna » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Excellent post, Henry. At times we see so many 'tough guys' post here blowing their trumpet...they haven't got a clue what's waiting for them crouched in the long grass.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Gabe Suarez
Lessons learned from 15 years in Law Enforcement and from analyzing many private citizen gunfights.

RULES FOR ENGAGEMENT (OR NOT)

1). Mind your own business. And that includes the "be a good witness" thing too. Unless it shocks the consciousness of humanity, it has nothing to do with you...stay out of it. Feel free to make the anonymous call if you wish, but that is the extent. And "shocks humanity" will be quite clear and obvious, such as women and children being killed right now".

Yes, I know...I know..."for evil to triumph", etc. But this is the USA in 2014. Think it over and measure the cost.

2). If #1 is not sufficiently clear, here is #2: Mind your own f*ing business. Killing a bad guy will cost you time and money.

You will have to hire an attorney. And no...those free lawyers that you got from joining the "Good Guys With Guns Association" are not what I would want if I was charged with a crime. Been-there-done-that. I want the best I can afford. The best, not a bargain I got from some gun club.

As well it will cost you time away from work and family when you have to go play the court game. In criminal as well as civil. And don't forget the reality (as much as the Dudley Do-Rights of society want to ignore it) you don't get to kill the thug and have his family forget you. Some will want to take up the matter with you some years later...outside of court. You ready to deal with them, suddenly, a decade later? So ask yourself if saving the stranger from the other stranger is worth it to you...or if it is not.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:17 pm

3). Unless victims have already been killed (as in Virginia Tech, or Fort Hood) , or its obvious even to the village idiot that this will happen in the next moment - MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

I recall a discussion with a very cold hearted but extremely practical old detective. he had shot twenty seven bad guys in his career - "TWENTY SEVEN". He said that it was a difficult matter to convince people that you had prevented a wanton slaughter by killing the bad guy. But once the bad guy had shot someone, you could do whatever you wanted to.

I leave that for you to judge on its own merit, but I suspect that, all race card issues aside, Zimmerman would not have been dealt such a harsh hand if he'd killed Adam Lanza rather than Treyvon Martin. As Musashi would have said, "Consider this deeply".
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:18 pm

4). If you are there with your family, then even in an event of mass slaughter of innocents, your prime directive is to get yours to safety. Once they are truly safe, you may feel free to go back in and save the still living victims. I would. Harsh? Yes it is, and it should be. Who reading this would sacrifice one of their children for building filled with strangers?

5). If you find yourself in #3 type situations, it helps immensely if you are NOT a Pillsbury Doughboy who is going to run into oxygen debt from putting a hasty tactical plan into action, or flatlines from excitement. There is no free lunch here and your custom street carry will not make up for you being in poor condition. The physically fit are harder to kill, and conversely, better at killing.

6). Have a lawyer on retainer you can call. Not the freebie from the "Dudley Do Right Shooting School", the guy that will cost you $25,000. Does anyone think OJ did not kill his wife and that Michael Jackson didn't have sex with little boys? Of course they did, but they were acquitted because they did not use a cheap lawyer, they used the best.

Not ready to spend at least $25,000? Then, as I said, mind your own business!
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:21 pm

8). Get your mind right about how you will act and what you will say after the fact. For getting your mind right, and handling the after action events, read my article "Your Feelings" and study the DVD "MIND SET - A Lecture On The Three Phases Of The Gunfight".

Its easy to say, "The lawyer on Youtube said to say nothing", but that is a guarantee that you will in fact be listed as a suspect and arrested. Follow the money. What does the lawyer want? Why, to make money of course. Thus the suggestion to complete silence.

I know of a case where a man who acted properly spent a year in jail because he clammed up when asked, "What happened?" by the police. If you can't keep your wits about you after the fact and say the right things, then do yourself a favor - don't even carry a weapon. All questions are answered in Combat Mindset DVD
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:22 pm

10). If there is any doubt, there is no doubt - MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby hthom » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Excellent suggestion, Van.

Believe me, those four words seem easy enough to remember but still may be hard to think of when the schitt is about to hit the fan -- the confusion on what to do -- if your mind is not already AWOL.

Repeat this over and over now. Get these four words ingrained in your mind and chances are you wouldn't even get into any dumb situation to begin with: Mind your own business!

While I am at it, let me add five more words to ingrain into your mind: Don't be the tough guy!
hthom

Previous

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities