Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 1999 10:35 pm 
Van’s Torture Chamber Night captures 2-1/2-3 hours per session, and for the most part is a kata-driven class. Not a kata class in the usual sense because Van’s focus is on strength and the delivery of that strength using speed, fighting and self-defense, and nothing else.

Van started by working us into body compression then shifted into having us flap our wings. Right away it became apparent that the crane movements were NOT weak and the tiger should not steal all the strength. Outsiders would have found us interesting when we practiced snapping the elbows up then down into our ribcages (ouch) from a closed-fist Sanchin position as we slid-stepped forward – an exercise for fast-twitch muscles. Insiders would have taught me an extra karate lesson if I would have succeeded in making that famous masculine noise one does when he cups his palm up against the opposite armpit, raises the elbow up high, then as fast as humanly possible whips the elbow down against the ribcage to make the sound. Was just checking out the technique with that one, Van, because the way (speed, power, angle) to move the arm is identical. But to get the results you sought, the shoulders must also be pulled squarely down, ribs must compress, tiger-toes, and in-general maintain good Sanchin posture.

Uechi-ryu is a kata-driven system and its strength is contained in its kata. To extract that strength you must train the lightning and the thunder together.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 06-10-99).]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 1999 11:30 pm 

Allen-San ... WOW! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like one of those classes where you "step out of time." A sensei once told me that one must learn to "hear the lightning and see the thunder ... then you will understand." That fits right in to what you are saying. Wish I was there....

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 1999 11:38 am 
Hello Jackie.

Van teaches how to make the lightning and thunder, not just see and hear it. The flapping translates into extreme shocking and knock down power onto the target with blinding speed.

To acquire these attributes, you must first fully relax the pecs then instantaneously bring the elbows down to the side of the ribcage by consciously contracting the pecs. There is absolutely NO stopping the elbow once it starts its trajectory down.

Many movements of the kata require this type of training to make them effective, else you are doing just a dance. I used to train punching by using the fast-twitch muscles of the pecs, but Van brings everything together.

I wonder if Leonardo mastered this one

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]