Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Semi-auto Vs. Revolver
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 1999 3:14 am 

Van, J.T., Tracy et al: My handgun collection expanded a few weeks ago with the addition of a S&W Stainless .357 magnum with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. I purchased this for my wife to use with .38 Sp. for practice as the weight minimizes the recoil. The Ti is just too hot for her to handle with +P.

Firing it side by side with the Glock .45 produced a surprise yesterday. After a number of rounds to adjust the sights, I was able to place shots inside the bullseye from 25 yards! Out of the box, the Glock was superior in accuracy, and it does not seem sensitive to range up to 25 yards, but it does not have the repeatability of the .357 mag. Is it me or is this typical?

Another thought: I adjusted the sights for the practice ammo - 130gr 38 spl. Switching to .357mag produced a significant change in the strike point. Is this also typical? As shot placement is so critical, might it not be better if I stick to .38 JHP +P and have a personal protection round that will really go where I (or my wife) want it than the extra energy of the .357?

The reason for the .38 round is for my wife to have a controllable recoil. We could practice with the .38, then readjust the sights for .357 before we head home, but that is perhaps counter productive. It might also be best to stick with the same personal round that we use in the S&W Ti .38 for commonality.

Many, many questions.

Regards, Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 1999 4:05 am 

Rich ,

Were you firing the revolver single or double action?

If you think guns to be fired in defense then don't think 25 yards at all ! If you want to do target shooting / competition get a target gun and fire target loads !

A.38+p in a .357 revolver is a good choice for a recoil shy woman ! A full power .357 has too much penetration when fired inside a dwelling ; then there is the intense muzzle flash blinding you for the next vital precious moments and the awful noise that tends to disorient you !

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 1999 5:00 am 

Thanks Van. I was firing double action.

No, I do not want to formal target shoot with it but I like to hit what I'm aiming at. The shortest range at the club I belong to is the 25 yd and if anyone else is using it, firing forward of the firing line is a no-no.

I was contemplating adjusting the sights for 7 to 10 yards with .38 +p JHP - Hydrashock - next time out. I was just amazed at the 25yd accuracy with standard ammo.

If someone asked me the best 'one handgun' to purchase for home protection and to be used by adult male or female, I would need to consider the .357 magnum. The Glock .45 is still my personal favorite but it is not as simple as the revolver.

Which would you recommend?

Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 1999 1:38 pm 

Rich San:

Asking one of us to choose between a revolver and a auto is tantamount to a discussion of the existence of the Trinity, a semi religious thing.

As Van said, caliber wise, the max recoil you can handle or your wife can handle that will produce the desired results.

Ayoob said "revolvers" only in for example, ankle holsters, otherewise autos with reliable ammo are fine.

.380 is minimum or below. .38 special in a revolver or nine mm in an auto is about as good a balance recoil vs knockdown as you will find. For You, maybe a .40, but I've never owned or loaded for one, so my comments are not backed with experience.

A load should be chosen with care in a short barrel revolver to keep muzzle blast down blast down and shooter confidence high.

Model recommendations from Van Sensei would be more appropriate than from me.

J.

------------------

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 1999 1:43 pm 

PS:

my recollection was that for fixed sight revolvers, sights were more or less set for the standard police load.

Especially in barrels of less than 6" the shorter "barrel dwell" time of the lighter faster bullets (of Plus P's etc) will, believe it or not, Lower the point of impact sometimes significantly.

(Most Plus P's etc. being 125 0r 130 gr hollow points pushed faster that the standard for the .38 which is 158 grains, "Super VEl" was the first to experiment with this type of loading, and everyone else sorta followed suit.)

j.

------------------

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 1999 7:07 pm 

JT: You are correct about the dwell time in short barrel handguns.

S&W sets up the .38s with 158 grain Speer ammo, including the .38 Titanium, that has a 1.75" barrel. When I put in a light, hot +p personal protection round at 10 yards the striking point was a full 8" below the aim point.

S&W was pretty open about the effect, but did not have a good answer when I asked about where to get a 158 grain JHP +p. Triton used to make them but demand was low so thet stopped. The solution? With S&W's concurrence, I filed an eighth inch off of the front site. Voila - all is well with a 129gr JHP from Federal.

Actaully, part of the problem arose when I changed the grip from the little wooden one to a rubber one similar to the one on the small .357 mag. It makes the recoil very tolerable but the added control actually keeps the barrel from rising as quickly as the designers intended thereby adding to the low patterns. With the original handle the problem would have been minor. BTW, S&W sent me a few extra front sights to play with. Nice touch.

One point though, as Van sensei has pointed out, this gun was intended for very short range use, not 25 yard target shooting. At 5 to 7 yards, it is right on. And to my satisfaction, I can hit a target at 25 yards if I need to.

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 1999 12:18 am 

J.T.__you are too kind !

The 4 inch revolver in .357 is okay for home defense by a man or a woman who wants a stress proof gun , simple and safe to operate[ modified to double action only] ! But I question the wisdom of the .357 round inside a dwelling by the average person with a gun !

Also we must define "home defense" ! Scouting the house for an untruder it is not ! You ensconce yourself in the "safe room" usually the bedroom , and train a weapon at the door waiting for the charge ! In that case I prefer the "Lupara" the dreaded Sicilian, revenge killing, short double barrel 12 gauge shotgun [no. 6 shot] with external hammers ! Not a pump which you will " short stroke" under the "cocktail" ! You may keep the handgun as back up next to you !

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 1999 1:44 am 

Yes, the master bedroom is the safe room. The gun cabinet, in the large walk-in closet at the far end of the room, has the 12 gauge over-under. As for the correct shot, I keep 4, 6 and 8, plus a box of slugs. So, it seems, 6 is the shot of choice. As the barrel is standard length perhaps the 8 would be better.

The 12 gauge pump is located there (advice heeded) as well as the handgun arsenal. I do not expect to ever have to unleash all of that fire power in the home but who knows.

Rich

[This message has been edited by RACastanet (edited 06-20-99).]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 1999 1:00 am 

J.T.:The revolver in question is the S&W .38 Titanium model.

The front sight is not easily removable as it is held in place by a roll pin. It could be removed to put in an original sight if desired. S&W's fear was that I would remove too much of the sight with the file. As it is, a few more file strokes would have been nice but it is close enough now for its intended purpose.

Rich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 1999 5:25 am 

Van Sensei and Rich San:

(hope etiquette is correct)

Points taken. I purchased a combo lock box for one item and set up a safe room. Everything else is so thouroughly locked away I couldn't get to it, as this could be viewed as a tad frustrating in an emergency.

One point positive about a .380 "in house" I suppose is that the Glasers and Hydra shocks aren't going to get much past a few inches of wallboard.

A friend had a .308 go off by accident in his cellar and ended up patched a 30 cal hole in his roof. Sort of the opposite end of the spectrum.

Don't want to put holes thru the neighbors I guess.

Rich, filing sights is ok. For what it is worth I alway did it at the range, alone, so no one would see and to monitor the change in impact. Kept touch up blue for the end product.

Most of the S&W I owned did not have interchangeable sight blades. This is a veyr handy idea. Could you elaborate on the models etc.. As I said, my S&W's are older and do not have this feature.

Don't ask me why I didn't ever want anyone to see me filing on a weapon at the range.

I can't explain.

Van Sensei: My .380 experience is only with Llama (C) Walther (A) Browning/Beretta (C) any other recommendations? The SIG looks fine. AMT I know nothing about etc..

J.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JOHN THURSTON (edited 06-21-99).]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 1999 12:43 am 

J.T.,

The colt mustang is a nice little package in .380 ---good feeder and reliable --sort of a mini 1911 ! [ if you like .380's ]

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 1999 3:09 am 
Top eject, Van?

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 1999 4:29 am 

Side eject __ like a .45 Colt 1911 !

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 1999 3:06 pm 

I own a S&W Sigma in .380. Totally reliable,light,accurate and butt ugly. I don't carry it anymore due to the blockiness of it's slide (somehow it makes the weapon 'seem' larger). For small weapon use, I now use the S&W bodyguard. With the current minaturization of handguns, one doesn't need to go to a .380 due to size. Weight however is another matter. Weights are coming down but nowhere near the scale of a small .380 (at least for pistols, revolvers are lighter). If I were to carry a small pistol I would probally look at the glock 26,27. The only drawback being that these are holster pistols only!! no pocket carry. The colt .380 (DA) is excellent. I've heard mixed reviews over the bodyguard (particularly in .45). The walther is quality if you can shoot the thing (the eastern clones are good buys).
I don't like the Marakovs. My bodyguard always works and seems to always 'be there'.

later

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 1999 6:04 pm 

Tracy,

The Glock 27 is an excellent mini gun. Light weight, accurate, adequate capacity (9+1), and big bore (40 S&W).

While a good holster is the best carry method, I have also put together a vest from CCC along with a thumb snap holster from Coronado Leather as an alternative carry.

The CCC vest has external and internal (for cross draw) pockets lined with velcro which holds their "gun pocket." The gun pocket actually ***** as it is made out of nylon and uses a velcro strap accross the butt to hold the gun in place. Very inaccessable. The Coronado Leather holster, however, is cut from cowhide, has velcro to hold to the pockets and the thumb snap allows quick access while securing the weapon.

I have pumped almost 3,000 rounds through the 27 in the last two months. The gun just functions exceptionally.

Moe Mensale