Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MORAL DILEMMA--CONTINUED
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 1999 12:37 pm 

Van, Sounds like JD is engaged in a diabolical riposte by himself. What's this "[.... Ed]" thing?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 1999 6:28 pm 

Van, J.D., Doctor X, and all others,

I would like to engage...

However, I just finished my quals (master program) and have brain death. As such, I am, as of this date and time, leaving for a much needed vacation and will only be able to see what is going on next Wednesday for the next two weeks.

I will certainly review all interaction with interest and enthusiasm that date and see what is happening when I return 6/28.

I am using all my strength to restrain my fingers from typing more - I find the invitation soooooo inviting, but alas-

To All A Little Peace

Sherri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 1999 12:18 am 

Sherri,

You have earned your vacation ! While we anxiously await your return on June 28th to engage DR _ X , we will throw this curve to the forum :

" The soul unto itself is an imperial friend __or the most agonizing spy _ an enemy could send " { Emily Dickinson }

Peace ,

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 1999 12:14 am 

I think it was Sherri who suggested that in such a situation , it is our belief system which controls ! Yours may include a religious belief in an immortal soul , however that may define in your mind !

The decision to kill -not to kill , to save others __ is fundamentally rooted under the rubric of etched personal beliefs !

While most beliefs about reality are sound in keeping us functional , many can be confusing and misleading and can short circuit a person from becoming operative in a decisive manner in a given impending crisis !

In our dilemma , you will be up against the RIGHT vs. WRONG general belief , which can be victimizing because it tends to distort reality ! Any intelligent person , who prides himself /herself in being objective would always have to conclude that under any given set of circumstances , one person's " right " behavior can be another's "wrong" !

So if you are religious and believe in God , then you must believe in the concept of an immortal soul !

And so embracing this concepts , which is worse,
destroying a man's soul or his earthly body ?

Peace,

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 1999 12:58 am 
Soul? Religious issues! How can you destroy the soul if it lives forever. The soul may go straight to hell (if you believe in that sort of thing) for the deed, if you remove life from his body immediately after the shooting, but that was HIS choice of free-will, not yours. [In many cases] I don't think anyone knows what is going on inside the mind of a person who would kill someone else unprovoked except that person him/herself. I tend to think the mind is the gateway to the soul which is often hidden unless there is an obvious path.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 1999 6:04 pm 

For Canna-Sensei, et. al.;

"The Brain", by Richard Restak, M.D.
It is "based on the Acclaimed Eight-Par Television Series 'The Brain'". copyright 1984. Published by Bantam Books. ISBN #0-553-05047-8.

It is basically an overview on how the brain functions. I read the chapters on "Vision and Movement" (chp.2), "Stress and Emotion" (chp.3), and some bits about our drives and also about the hypothalamus. It gives a pretty good description about the reptile brains, mammalian brains, and the reasoning portion of our brains. On one page the author mentions that "ancient martial artists practiced breathing techniques so that the slight fluctuations in the rate and depth of their breathing didn't betray fear to their opponents." pg. 163. This is in the chapter on "Stress and Emotions". This chapter also discusses Zen and other meditation.

Cecil

------------------
Email: <A HREF="mailto:creativebrother@yahoo.com">creativebrother@yahoo.com</A>
Web Page: http://creativebrother.freehosting.net

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 1999 9:40 pm 

Cecil-san ,

Thank you !

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 1999 11:58 am 

Cecil, 6/9/99 Maybe we could shoot his brain tumor?
6/15/99 I'm looking forward to that book also.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 1999 9:09 pm 

Hello All-

Well, enjoyed my vacation - it was wondermus.

Couple of questions Van:

"...if you are religious and believe in God,..."

Can one be religious and not believe in "A" God?

"...then you must believe in the concept of an immortal soul."

Which particular religious pathway is this?
Christian, Hindu? Assumptive statement connecting religious belief with something called a soul, immortal or otherwise.

"...and so, embracing this concept, which is worse, destroying a man's soul..."

How about just a soul, and leave gender outta here.

Remember, belief is culture-specific. Your voice seems to stay primarily in a western dichotomy.

A Little Peace to All

Sherri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 3:27 pm 

Hello All -

Interesting responses.

Any philosophical thread is an interesting dialog. However, semiotics, deconstructivism, Lacanian, Freudian analysis, rationalism, post-modernism, post-enlightment, post-structuralism, neo-whatever, and all other philosophical paradigms of all periods and cultures are all human attempts at rationalized codification of the chaos of existence.

As such, is there really any "right" answer?

I don't think so. But then, I am still learning a little more each day.

A Little Peach To All

Sherri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 11:20 am 

Sherri,
There is always a right answer at the time and a right answer on Monday morning. The more complex one attempts to make a situation with philosophical paradigms the simpler the answer becomes.
Good luck learning, we all are.