Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Knife Registration?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 9:11 pm 
Don't think it can't happen here...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=000111676745840&rtmo=lSQuAuAt&atmo=99999999&pg=/et/99/7/4/nife04.html

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 9:39 pm 

Psst, hey buddy, comere.. wanna buy a set of unregistered, untracable Ginsu's?

Knives don't kill! The red meat cut up with them does!

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 10:01 pm 
Kevin, The best knife I ever saw was made out of ice.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 11:27 pm 

Regulation of knives is happening. In some states, the proposed regulation is piggy backed on gun legislation. Already even pen knives are banned from schools. This has carried as far as to nail clippers... (BACK OFF! Or I'll cut your nails, buster!)

A new organization, the American Knife and Tool Institute, is being formed to inform the public about knives as tool, as art or historical pieces, and to advocate for sensible legislation. Martial artists who practice with "live" or simulated metal blades are affected by legislation as well. To find out more about AKTI, check out:

www.akti.org

david

AKTI member #A0000356

P.S. Allen's post is referring to the situation in England, a place that has been restrictive for awhile now. Australia is going with similar legislation. Canada supposedly is fairly restrictive with knives and guns. Some of our states are following in that path. The craziness is that most of us use knives in our daily lives, almost every time we make dinner... (okay, some of us open a box and then the microwave...)

[This message has been edited by david (edited 07-09-99).]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 1999 12:59 am 
Thanks David. This IS important. First guns, then knives, then karate. That's what's happening. We will see all this and more unfold before us shortly.

Youse guys out there that even have an inkling of what freedom is (hope they haven't removed that term from American History books yet) <font color=red>BETTER GET OUT THERE AND VOTE </font>in the next elections to try to salvage what is left.

------------------

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 1999 2:10 am 

Interesting topic. In Virginia, knives are not covered by the CCW permit. That permit is specifically for handguns. As such, carrying a concealed knife is a no no. There is no permitting process for concealed knife carry. However, open carry of knives or handguns is ok.

So, what knives are covered? Virginia considers a bladed instrument 3" or less in length to be a tool. So, carrying a pocket knife, so long as it does not spring open, is ok. The police down here use a folded dollar bill as a measure. Any blade protruding behond half a bill is illegal if concealed. Pretty simple.

I habitually carry a small swiss army knife, as a tool in fact. The local amusement park - Kings Dominion, a Paramount company - had trouble a few years back when some gangs visited and had a knife fight. They put in metal detectors, like the airport, and adopted a zero tolerance for any weapon. Sure enough, I was apprehended at the gate a few years back with my teeny tiny knife. They had gotten a bit overzealous at that point and searched my wifes bag and found......... a bag of pretzels! No food can be brought in either! Hmm... they made us dispose of the contraband right there.

Actually I am pleased that security is so tight that it is laughable. My daughter works there in the spring and summer and the security has almost completely eliminated the bad element who would spoil it for all. Those folks apparantly won't go into a place if the must leave their weapons home. As for me, my wife reminds me to leave my toys at home whenever we go to ride the roller coasters.

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 1999 2:14 am 
Swiss knives are dangerous. ANY jack knife is dangerous.

BTW: You know the saying: "When knives are outlawed, only the cooks will have them."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited 07-09-99).]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 1999 2:24 am 

To all:

The double edged knife "dagger of dirk" is already outlawed here, as I'm sure I've boringly pointed out, as are "clacker sticks" (nunchaku).

Now, think about the logic of the collective mind that outlaws two pieces of wood tied together with cord?

It happened because there was no constitutional protection for this "weapon", and if the present constitution is whittled to the point where the "hoplophobes" would like it, the free society as we understand it will be gone and we will live with the majority's ideas of freedom.

The Senate, as a matter of construction in the checks and balance system, was put where it is in the legislative system to prevent the tyranny of the majority. Thus the arguments (quite corect too) that smaller states have "more" say than they should on such matters. It was no accident that the bicameral system was set up the way it was.

Let it be changed at our peril.

Safety vs. Freedoms? who will then watch the watchers.?

J.

------------------

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 1999 2:31 am 
The watchers are the ones holding the whips.

------------------

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 1999 11:33 am 

The weapon is the mind. A predatory attack is the crime.

david