Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Message to Rich
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 1999 12:26 pm 

Rich ,

Can you e-mail me again with your question ? I deleted your mail without reading by mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 1999 2:36 am 

Sorry Rich _ having e-mail problems ! Can you send again?

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 1999 12:53 am 

Thanks for the reply off line Van.

The gentleman that teaches the course (Tom) I wrote to you about really stresses the mechanics and basics of shooting. He invited my son (16) and I to join him on Monday at his private site (at no charge even) for some rifle shooting. I brought the M1 and my trusty old Winchester 30-30. He had a mini 14 with him. What do you think of those?

We first fired the M1 at 25 yards to get some idea if it was zeroed. I had disassembled and reassembled the sights per the specs the night before and they produced a reasonable pattern. After a few tweaks we moved to 100 yds then to 200 meters. After a few adjustments made to our technique my son and I were ringing a 12 inch gong at 200 meters.

As an aside, this man is no athlete or martial artist as we would measure him. However, he is very similar to Bill Glasheen sensei in the way he spots and makes small corrections in technique, just as Bill does when he is correcting someone's sanchin posture. My son never even held the M1 before, let alone fire it, and here he was shooting it with accuracy.

After the M1, we did the same with the 30-30. I never thought much of it beyond 100 yds, but with just a few minutes of tweaking it and us, he had us hitting the 200 meter gong with it.

He asked if I wanted to try the 200 meter target with my Glock .45 so out it came. I could come close with some coaching but did not hit it. However, after a few sighting rounds, he was hitting it. So, it would seem that with proper training and technique, even the relatively slow cartridges can be effective at longer range.

Tom has invited me to his monthly "friendly" tournament for both pistols and service revolvers. I'll try to take bill G. along to one of these as he likes to expand his martial skills as well. We have opened up a whole new avenue of cross training down here in Virginia.

Regards, Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 1999 11:34 pm 

Rich,

Don't care for the mini-14 ; if you must, get a black rifle!

Garand is the "rifleman's rifle! There is nothing like it! I can still take it apart and reassemble in total darkness from my army days!

------------------
Van Canna