Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 1999 8:00 pm 

I was so overjoyed/stunned by this that I just had to post it.

My Sifu has recently started a class in association with the Syracuse Parks and Rec. division. In essence, they ship us 15-20 kids from the projects, and we do our best to impart some kind of knowledge and discipline on them. It's a very slow uphill battle.

Today, for the first time, we tried doing some paired partner self defense techniques..just to see how they would do with them. Two little boys, no older than ten, immeadately began to practice by walking towards each other from opposite sides of the room, pretending that one was coming from his house, the other from...wherever. They would run into each other, exchange words, and then move into the technique!

I was stunned. Here I was, a martial artist of 8-10 years, who was just now beginning to understand things like emotional climate training, and yet, these little kids, who I'm sure have a minimal concept of psychology, came up with it on their own.

Perhaps we can learn a little something from our children.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 1999 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

Many dojo practice role playing as part of their children's classes. Great idea.

BTW Jake. . . Susan doesn't have your camp application! And I don't have your email. Please call her asap.. 508-586-7678.

thanks.

------------------
GEM