Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tracy Rose' Blue Suit
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 1999 3:57 am 

Tracy: Tell me more about the body armor that you used at camp. Was that the Blue Max? Who makes it? Cost?

That thing is a must have for true defensive training.

Van, what are you thoughts on this subject?

Rich

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 1999 4:49 am 

The blue suit is your best gauge of either “focused power” or useless flailing lots of martial artists will resort to under stress and fatigue! Big difference facing an aggressive “suit” as opposed to hitting a bag or a makiwara or “killing” empty air!

But the real value lies in the involuntary triggering of the “cocktail”! As Peyton Quinn relates in his book, the bullet man {man in the suit} projects hostile intent and predatory carriage, which coupled with verbal assault, engage the primal brain oblivious to the existence of the conscious brain!

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 1999 7:01 am 
Those of us who took part with Tracey Sensei owe him a great debt for putting on that exceptionally hot suit on a day where people were dropping from heat exhaustion. A great and tough guy.

While I have read about this for a while I have never had an opportunity to take part. Tracey Sensei did not have enough time to put us through a full adrenaline training, but he was able to give us a taste. It made it very clear to me that this training is a must.

One technique we worked on was similar to something that I do. With Tracey Sensei swinging at you in the suite I was clearly shown a flaw in what I did and the correction to it. This training is a must.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 1999 1:36 pm 

Thank you for your comments.
The blue suit is made by macho, the makers of the famous red suit (police and military only). The only difference between the red and blue suits as I was told is "$1000 and the color". FIST makes a suit also. The FIST suit is lighter, uses hard inserts covered by pads wrapped in cordura. The FIST suit is more modular than the blue suit allowing you to use pieces vs. the whole suit. Either one will work well. Very strong hitters go through my blue suit (although they don't cause damage, multiple strikes over time could.) Most people you can't feel their strikes, then there are folks like leyn burrows. You feel the strikes, thanks goodness they are few and far in between.

Good Points: Great for kids classes, demos, self-defense type seminars. Best use: impact training and inside fighting training, STAMINA TRAINING (for you ring fighters).

Bad Points: takes to long to get dressed. Can only be used one on one, mobility tough, takes a trained, mature person in the suit.

The first time a person works on the suit he/she invariably tries to hit as hard as they can. Their bodies stiffen up, their stance goes *wide*, they wind up, and hit with nothing more than their arms. This is only during drills! Once the pressure is applied they do of the above plus stop moving, bend over and flail! They completely forget all their martial arts! This is why people like Peyton Quinn say MA do not work. He is wrong. MA do work if a person is trained in their tools. It is like saying that most gunfights happen withine 3-7 feet and yet something like 80% of the shots fired miss. So the same logic says guns do not work. We know Uechi is effective. So what is the disconnect? Simply put teachers do not know or will/can not teach the use of tools properly. Students except ritual training as dogma instead of looking at the training methology as that: a methology, a set of ideas, concepts, technique that they must understand and be able to apply. Our dojo picked up the blue suit when it first became available to the public as an experiment just for that reason.

The GREAT news is that within a few minutes (yes minutes, ask the people at the seminar) if the training is there, the change is dramatic. If you don't believe me just get into the suit and feel the difference. The first time or two people lock up. After the first time they move out of the way, find openings, start to slip, mix techniques and fight correctly. They might even try a strike other than a punch or front kick.

My congratulations go out to the young women who volunteered to go a round with the blue guy. She jumped at the chance when everyone else hesitated! She came in hard and fought feriously!! I wish we had more time for a second round. I know that for the second round she would have started moving.. She is a brave fighter....

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me at the dojo, (508-393-8779) or email at trose@gradient.com.

thank you all who participated, I believe this type of training is important.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 1999 3:30 pm 

Tracy,

I believe that "young woman" is my friend and training partner, Debbie. The other woman, Siu, is a beginner. But both were pumped about the blue suit. Both wanted to thank you for the opportunity to test themselves and for your willingness to dress like the Michelin Man in 90 plus heat.

david

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 1999 4:41 pm 

It was definitely an interesting, and frightening experience watching my technique fall apart under the intiall stress caused by facing the suit. Much thanks to Tracy Rose for suiting up in that thing...I can only imagine what it's like inside it.

Other than using the blue man suit, and practice of the basic techniques, can you (or anyone else) suggest a method for developing and testing the power of your techniques under stress? I know it's a long shot, but both myself and the school I'm currently training at are very poor, and the odds that we'll have access to a blue man suit in the near future is low. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 1999 6:29 pm 

You are always welcome to come visit and spend time on the suit. An hour usually does it. Once indocrinated, you would be amazed at how fast you progress. It is not that the skill is not there. Most people just need to get that dump for the first time.

Other than blue suits, try sparring, visiting other dojo, public speaking ... anything that introduces trauma...

David, you are pretty local. If you and your training partners wish to jump on the suit ... please be my guest.. Debbie and Siu were excellent...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 1999 3:06 am 

Tracy: Thanks for the reply. What is the ballpark cost of the blue suit?
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 1999 2:56 pm 

I haven't checked in years. Check out the cost of the FIST suit (I believe if I were to purchase again, I would buy a FIST). Also, there is a 3rd suit out but I can't remember names, brands etc. I paid about $1000 3 years ago. The cost might have gone down...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 1999 4:01 am 

Tracy: Why is the FIST better? I could not find it in the web. Any help on getting info?
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 1999 3:01 am 

Gentleman,

Is this what you are looking for?

RedMan Training Gear by Macho Products, Inc.

Hope it helps.

Scott

------------------
George Mattson's Directory Of Links
www.xpres.net/~gmattson/cgi-bin/links/index.html
Martial Arts Of Long Island
members.aol.com/mstymtn/karate/
Taking Charge - Cable Access Martial Art Show
members.aol.com/mstymtn/karate/t_charge.htm

[This message has been edited by Scott Danziger (edited 08-10-99).]