Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kata and managing stress
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 3:41 am 

Fascinating subject!

We all know that kata is only a component of the total system, albeit probably the most important one if performed with a sense of purpose!

A reaction to life threatening stimulus kicks up the heart rate over 145 BPM destroying complex motor skills!

“Research findings hold that only gross motor skills will be able to withstand the effects of survival stress”__ Siddle

Studies have shown that one of the ways to control heart rate is developing situational confidence! Subconscious confidence develops when the student becomes secure with his techniques!

Security of techniques starts and ends with kata as the model!

Uechi katas are composed of mostly gross motor techniques with some fine motor skills involved as well.

My approach to the kata is to perform it at hi-power mode inviting the fine motor moves to become gross motor by throwing the torque of body mass into them! This was exemplified by the performances of Art Rabesa [Hachidan], Paul Giella, and Peter Blackman [Renshi] at the camp promotional this year!

That type of execution elicits the greatest subliminal situational confidence, which in turn promotes a confident mindset, which in turn maintains lower heart rate under stress because of the intense focusing engendering Alpha brain waves Roy is correctly describing, along with the concept put forth by Our good Dr. Giella!

“ The development of subconscious confidence begins with helping a student become secure with a specific technique” __Siddle
Power kata is a large component of that process!

Soft_tai-chi_ style kata practice is surely beneficial to develop strength, but I question the transmission of explosive power needed to cut down your assailant with shock!

Sensei Campbell was one of the very few Americans who was ever invited to get close to the Shinjio family, and he tells of the practice of Master Seju Shinjo to demand of his students to perform kata with techniques exploding upon his body as a human makiwara!

Good way to find out what you are really made of in traditional applications!

Bob says that most students would end up with swollen limbs and fingers!

References: “Sharpening the warriors edge”__ Siddle!

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 2:52 am 
Van,

There is some Tai-chi that is taught in much the same way you teach kata.

------------------
Allen - [email]uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A> - <A HREF="http://www.uechi-ryu.org[/email]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 3:23 am 

Then that is the kind of tai-chi I would seek in cross training!

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 7:40 pm 

David - You asked "Do you think that you could train someone as a fine karate-ka teaching only Sanchin, Hojo Undo (Uechi style), kotekitae, two person sets, and general strength work?"
I would say yes (but with some reservations of my own), provided that those two person sets allowed enough spontenaiety to teach the practioner to react without always following the same preset pattern. If everything that we train is based on a set pattern, we will find ourselves unable to deal anytime that pattern is broken.
In the end, as long as you have a holistic system (which is in essence, what you have devised), and use/practice all elements of it, you will be fine. I'm not suggesting that it's nessessary to practice multiple kata, so much as that it's nessessary to practice something besides kata. No part of the system works alone.

Van Sensei - I believe the Chen style of Tai Chi incorporates some very explosive movements into it's forms. I saw a tape of Adam Hsu, a Chen practioner based in San Francisco, and when he moved, he appeared to move with a lot of power and speed. Just a note/thought...

Roy - I wasn't suggesting that kata are meant to replicate a stressful situation, but rather, that they are meant to help us cope with stressful situations. My attempts at inducing stress in myself at the beginning of a kata were simply a way to try and make the neuro-muscular connection between these movements and a high stress situation a little stronger. (Note: I have no idea how effective this is...it's an experiment, after all).