Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 1999 1:47 am 

At the end of today's workout a young BB asked me about gun disarms, weapons retention, and related issues. I pulled out the wooden gun and demo'ed the things I've picked up in the last few years at camp from the likes of Maloney sensei, Bedard sensei and others. I work on these techniques on my own and they went very well.

At one point doing a retention he really held on and said what do you do now? Well, out came a knife in my weakside hand and I said I'd just hack off his fingers or something worse if he did not let go.

I just showed him the knife, and made no attempt to hack anything but his eyes got really big! This is when he realized that this 'stuff' we do is serious. He said he just could not do something to really hurt anyone. Rich - do you really carry a knife? A gun? I'll never tell. This is when he admitted a real fear of guns.

So, as Van sensei has stated many times, we need to explore our student's mindset and not assume they know why they study martial arts.

Any thoughts?

Rich

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 1999 2:26 am 

Interesting topic for instructors Rich!

I used a related lesson in my women's self-defense class last month. Though I don't mess around with weapon disarms too much - (I don't have enough training in that and don't want to perpetuate a false sense of security) we do some work with trying to control or attack the hand holding a weapon at close quarters. I like to use water-based markers (red is great) as the weapon to show how easy it is to be "cut" when you think you've got control mastered!

On the empty hand side - for a "reality check" I sometimes go a bit farther than standard dojo practice when working on defensive techniques. One lesson in particular is working on a defense against a choke-hold or lapel grab. It's great fun practicing a half-hearted attack in the dojo - especially the younger women - usually teenagers - have fun and laugh and giggle during some of the exercises. The tone changes real quick when I (or a male co-teacher) attack the women with a serious choke hold - squeezing the throat enough to start cutting off air and yelling at them to see what they can do about it now when it's not so funny...

Eyes bulge from surprise and fear - but discussion afterward always shows some serious internal reflection on how differently things appear when under stress... even though they knew they were in a class, they weren't too sure about me once they had a harder time breathing!

Oh and by the way - all participants are forewarned before the session begins that the class is going to be agressive, challenge their reactions and perceptions, and will bring up some serious confrontation, both emotionally and physically. This is when they sign up - and I don't elaborate on the warning once things get going.

Anyway - just seemed related to what you brought up about challenging a student's mindset.

Peace,
Lori

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 08-21-99).]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 1999 3:06 am 

“He said he just could not do something to really hurt anyone. Rich - do you really carry a knife? A gun?”

Again the typical student bewildered by “the perfect intent”! The “goody two shoes” who believes he is not A “morally good person” if he hurts someone and feels guilty in “embracing” intent, much like the typical woman who fears “enjoying” shooting a gun for target practice at the range!

What they need is for someone to help them realize that hurting or even killing in self defense is really being a good person engaged in the preservation of life, possibly their own!

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited 08-21-99).]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 1999 3:39 am 

Nice input Lori.

Van, this genteman did say it scared him that I had a knife in my pocket (I was in street clothes already).

Bill G. sensei has no problem with me gravitating towards other martial concepts. Your 'force continuum' concepts, Evan sensei's kyusho and Raffi D. sensei's knife and stick fighting all appeal to me. Our clubs are mainline Uechi-ryu but it is helpful to our members to get exposure to other ideas.

Bill has taken time to learn about firearms and is of the opinion that it is good to have someone in the group who is working to gain expertise in that area (me).

At some point I'd like to get a Blue Max suit and do the things Tracy sensei has been discussing. To effect the 'continuum' we need to experience the 'coctail'. I wonder how I'd hold up in the blue suit? That in itself might be the test.

Rich