Selecting the next rifle

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Selecting the next rifle

Postby RACastanet » Sun Aug 22, 1999 3:06 am

Thanks Van. Well, I want to participate in local matches and research as well as your and others inputs does lead me to the AR-15 and away from M1A or spending $$$$ to make an M1 match grade. I'll look closer at the BM. What do you think of barrel and stock materials? There are options there to consider.

The M1 can just be a weapon that is fun to shoot and be a nice collectable as well. I will get to a CMP qualifying shoot as soon as one comes to the area and apply for a surplus M1in any event. I'd like one with all of the army cartouches and stamps on original hardware (replacement or otherwise is ok as long as it is a US Govt. rebuild).

Rich
RACastanet

Selecting the next rifle

Postby Van Canna » Sun Aug 22, 1999 3:37 am

J.T. is better suited to answer this one!

------------------
Van Canna
Van Canna

Selecting the next rifle

Postby RACastanet » Mon Aug 23, 1999 1:38 am

Hi guys. I saw the Arma-Light AR-15 variant today. One person recommended it and another (an owner of one) said to buy the Colt's instead as it is much less expensive and at least as accurate. Any thoughts on that version?

Rich
RACastanet

Selecting the next rifle

Postby JOHN THURSTON » Mon Aug 23, 1999 2:43 am

Rich:

The Sights on the AR-15, even if a NM front sight in military configuration leave a bit to be desired, as I recall.

The Bushmaster has a reputation that would not deter me for a second, as to all I've handled.

Please tell me about the sight arrangments on the weapons. If they are NM and intended to be "Service" Rifle, they will not match those on your present M-1 or on an M1A (essentially the same).

Also, do you plan to shoot out to 600 yds?

The Mouse gun can do it, but it looks as though loading two different length cartridges might be how the Camp Perry Ites are handling this.

The sight radius on a "service" AR makes it a bit hard to compete (it is shorter) with the M1A's.

If you are only shooting to 2-300 yards on "simulated" 600 yard targets, it is not quite so critical to use the heaviest match .224 bullet.

Let me know.

JT

------------------
JOHN THURSTON

Previous

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities