Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: BREAKDOWN
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 1999 10:51 pm 

John V.,

Excellent riposte; I had a sense you would be a strong contributor!

Any idea if the book “Ki in daily life” is still available and, if so, where it can be obtained?

Mattson sensei will sure appreciate your kind words; you are truly a gentleman and an asset to this forum!

Peace,

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 1999 6:57 am 

Van Sensei says:"Excellent riposte! I had a sense you would be a strong contributor."

You know, there is something very powerful about your spirit, Sir-you can sense it through the keyboard, so to speak.

And I thank you again for your kind words.

I believe the Book Ki In Daily Life, along with others by Koichi Tohei, is available through the Ki No Kenkyukai.

I know of a man,a good man, in Japan, who is on the Internet.His name is Stan Pranin, and he has a website which, though I don't have the url for, I know that a search engine will reveal it's whereabouts.Punch in Aikido Journal or Stanley Pranin or Stan Pranin.

Mr. Pranin has a line on every conceivable Aikido book, in any laguage, ever written, and usually can make available copies of these for sale, or tell where to get one.Others I have sent to him have found him to be extremely helpful.He also has vdeos of fims dating as far back as the 1930's.

I am sure that he would know about this book and could make available copies for purchase.It is not a terribly expensive book, as I recall.

But it is a terrifically important one, as it gives the psychological secrets so many of us seek, from an ancient warrior ttradition, along wth practical drills to master these skills in a relatively short time.

I believe this book is kept in print by the Ki Society(Ki No Kenkyukai).

Many of the drills are immediately applicable to martial purposes.

Peace indeed-warriors of the spirit wish this above all else.

John Versteeg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 1999 9:55 am 

Van sensei,

If you are interested in this book, I can pick it for you in Chinatown.

FYI Koichi Tohei at one point was lead instructor under O'Sensei in the Hombu dojo. He reputedly bought aikido to the U.S., represented it and defended against challengers. Many of the current aikido shihans (in their 50's) trained under this man. However, tradition dictated a succession by family member.

Tohei left and formed his Ki Society, a smaller stream of the aikido tradition. His definition of "ki" is somewhat less mystical than others and he believes it's usage can be taught through body mechanics. Tohei is in late 70's now and still teaching in Japan.

Toyoda Sensei of American Aikido Association at one point was associated with Tohei sensei.

david

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 1999 2:19 pm 

RAC,

Give me a call during the day 508-485-5235 and we can talk about the blue suit.

if calling doesn'w work for you, email me at trose@gradient.com

later

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 1999 10:47 pm 

David-san,

Very much interested in the book! I would be very grateful to you if you could get it for me!Please let me know when you have it and I will meet you at the Hut on the following Saturday with a check!

John-san
Thank you so much for the information and your kindness! I know I will enjoy the book and put its principles to good use!

Many thanks,

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 1999 11:39 pm 
This is a bit of a late reply, but Ki in Everyday Life" is a very interesting book. I should go back and read it again. I've seen it around in bookstores quite recently, so it shouldn't be to hard to find.

There are some great exercises there.

take care,

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
[i]Ronin at large

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 1999 10:24 am 

Van sensei,

It would be my pleasure. I will be leaving town, however, this weekend for two weeks. If you want email me your address, and I'll have the book on its way.

dysmoy@aol.com

david