Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 1999 2:18 am 

This evening I had the whole pistol range to myself so I had the opportunity to fire the Glock and the Kimber at various ranges with no rush or distractions. Aside from both being .45 ACP, there is virtually no similarity between them.

Without question, the Kimber will outshoot the Glock right out of the box. At ranges from 7 to 25 yards the Kimber accuracy is amazing. At 7 yards it was shooting holes in the prior holes. The Glock cannot come close. At 25 yards, the Kimber was on or in the 'x' ring on every shot and the Glock was in that area only a few times. And remember, this is the first time I have fired the Kimber. I am impressed by this handgun's smoothness, trigger, sights.....

OK, now the downside - Four pound trigger pull single action. It does not take much effort to fire the Kimber. I was switching back and forth with the Glock and had to be verrrry careful with it. I'm glad that I had read Van sensei's earlier post to my other thread before I went to the range with it.

I did not purchase the Kimber with the intention of carrying it for self defense. Now that I have practiced with it, I realize that I must become an expert with it before even thinking of carrying it.This is where the Glock beats the Kimber hands down.

As I spend more time with it I will gain the comfort (maybe) that I have with the Glock. For now, it will be a tool to improve my shooting skills. The only limit to what the Kimber can do is my ability. All in all, I'm really excited about working with it.

Any thoughts or guidance out there?

Rich

[This message has been edited by RACastanet (edited 08-29-99).]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 1999 4:03 am 

I am not surprised at the accuracy of the Kimber! Very well made!
Additionally, the 1911, is a natural pointer with crisp trigger!

Experts write that any weapon with thumb safeties and “decocking levers” to depress, can cause problems under stress since the manipulation of those items belongs with fine motor skill which is the first thing that goes under the “cocktail”, that is if you will even remember the levers!

The 1911 is traditionally the choice of experts for defensive carry. This requires lots of specialized training under simulated combat stress, stoppages clearing drills when under simulated return fire, and an in depth familiarity with the rather complex manual of arms!

I recommend seeking out a top combat instructor who can teach the safe handling of the piece under stress! You must be able to dismantle the weapon and put it back together blindfolded and you must practice constantly with it to insure the safety of you and your fellow shooters in competition! I have seen some very dangerous gun handling by people who only thought they knew the 1911!

Remember, under stress you will be a totally different person; you will have difficulty recognizing yourself! Accidental discharges with a crisp triggered 1911 are legion!

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 1999 3:41 am 

Van sensei: My travel schedule has lightened sufficiently for me to work in the 12 week weapons/defense class a local instructor is giving. We will meet on Thursday evenings for 3 hours and also spend three full Sundays on his range. We will do some work in low light conditions.

Not an Ayoob class, but it should be of value. We start this Thursday. I'll keep you posted.

Rich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 1999 4:58 am 

Rich:

i have only had Kimber Rifles, but they always shot well, so I am glad I said to try the Kimber.

Sonner or later a choice to try one is necessary.

Neither Kimber nor Para are presently shipping to Mass., so if I want one of these, I have to play games like going up to Kittery or Hooksett until the People's Republic gets things sorted out.

Now, It's perfectly legal to buy, apparently, on one's license a weapon in N.H. or Maine and bring it back, but the companies are not shipping direct, so some dealers here will go out or business I am sure.

what my liability would be if I did that them immediately resold it and there was an accident, before Mass. has the "drop test" thing unscrewed, I won't even comment on.

Suffice it to say I would NOT resell one here as of this date.

My present Kimber is the Ultra Varmint in .223, and It can really upset guys with more expensive Rifles (although who knows what they get for it now).

The "shop" at Reilly's in Hookset NH offers the "match" mags (bumpers on board), and I would guess that Mr. LaRocca who Van Uses does them, and there are some other suppliers, no doubt.

I would think tha this is one of the nice things about the Kimber, the commonality of 1911 mags.

If you will let me know how it is for yo if you carry it, I would be obliged.

JT

------------------

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 1999 1:52 am 

Rich:

I don't know if you picked it up, but I did buy a 1911 Clone, but have not had a chance to try it yet (Safari Arms).

Turns out that even as a Dealer I can't purchase a Kimber etc. to bring back here, or at least that's the interpretation I put on the abstract I read.

What the N.H. and Me. shops know about it is another matter.

The French made a number of weapons (I'll look them up) featured on "Tales of the Gun" Revolvers of Europe----which were hideously ugly by our lights but which could be assembled and disassembled quickly with no tools.

I think that, although pretty, Browning got extra for every extra spring and screw he put in a design.

The SIG is supposed to be based on a French system, but I have not taken then down in a while.

JT

------------------

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 1999 5:15 am 

Van, JT ...... Last night I sat down with my cleaning apparatus to go over my Glock and Kimber. What a difference in disassembly and assembly. Comparing WW1 design with the Glock is eye opening.

Glock: Four major pieces, no tools, no flying springs....

The 1911: A lesson in care and feeding of a handgun. Lots of parts and pieces.
I would not want to field strip a 1911 in the dark and/or under stress.

For target skills, the Kimber 1911. For carry, reliability and user friendliness, the Glock.

Rich

[This message has been edited by RACastanet (edited 09-06-99).]