Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: THANK YOU DAVID
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 1999 1:25 am 

David,

The book you sent just arrived! Good looking cover and very well written! [ Ki in daily life by Koichi Tohei]

Thank you for a gift I will always treasure!
Your kindness, and the touching words in the card that accompanied the book, made me freshen into smiles! Such a fine gesture denotes a nobility of the heart!

And thank you John V. for flagging such an interesting piece of work!

Peace,

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 1999 8:10 pm 

David,
Glad you were able to send Van Sensei the book.

Van Sensei-glad to be of some small service.

It is a remarkable piece of work, the book deals with areas of life often thought completely unconneccted wth Martial arts, but, as your Forum so powerfully brings out, with everyone's shared experience and knowledge dramatically confirming-nothing in life is unconnected from anythnng else.

Enjoy!

John V.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 1999 11:53 am 

David, I've heard "music soothes the savage beast" but a book doing that also. Must be some book.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 1999 6:09 am 

Hurney Sensei-
I know you were talking to David when you said,'Must be some book.'

All I can say is that at least in English, there is no other book like this one, that I know of.

Many books contain Ki excercises, or Kokyu-ho, or Chikung.

Many books contain philosophies of life, some derived from Oriental sources.

This book shows not only four basic principles to master ki,but drills to enable each principle, and then show practical methods to integrate each principle into every area of life.
I mean stuff you can do right now, starting today, not stuff it takes ten years in a dojo to learn to do, or Twenty in a Monastery.

Now it isn't a religion,but it sure does work!

And Tohei discusses how to overcome the cocktail, or use it to your advantage, which makes it on-topic to this forum, to the max.

And what a different approach.

John

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 1999 3:36 am 

John V.,

You wrote “And Tohei discusses how to overcome the cocktail, or use it to your advantage, which makes it on-topic to this forum, to the max. And what a different approach.”
Good discussion here! Would you kindly outline your read on Master Tohei’s techniques for achieving this?
Thank you for your fine contributions!

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 1999 7:19 am 

Van Sensei say:'Good discussion here!'

Yes, it is, isn't it?

'Would you kindly mind outlining your read on Master Tohei's means for doing ths?(overcoming the cocktail and using it to your advantage)?'

Be more than happy to, Sensei-let me get my Tohei Book to quote from, for starters.

number one, prevention if possible.
'Some people like to tell battle stories but I always reprimand them by asking them how they got into the state where they had to tell such tales.

I ask them if they had nothing else to do before that.'pp 107-8.

My read on this is:Be sensible and aware of the possibillity of a conflict breaking out or escalating, and at the first sign of it take measures as one can to avoid or deescalate it.

Step two;Mental preparation for a variety of attacks.

'In Aikido with mind and body coordinated we think of the many ways in which an opponent might attack and over and over again practice ways of handling such attacks following the prnciples...
We sink this into our subconscious mind and train ouselves so tha, even in a surprise attack,we unconsciously act and move the way we should.'p.111

Key word here is unconscously, imo.

Step three:Process and principles.
1.Keep one point(seika no itten)
2.relax completely
3.keep weight undeside
4.extend ki.p27

The whole book centers on teaching in extremely practical terms how to do this.Drills and things to actually do to enable and implant every part of this.

Now, Master Tohei says you can dump all frustrations and tensions into the continually contracting by half , one point, and if you can keep this mental image, you can reroute the cocktail.Into infinity where it can do no harm.

Step three:walking the walk:

"Strength of action is born from inner calm.For this reason, if we have that calm,regardless of how rapidly we react,we will not upset our breathing.A person who has not mastered this calm will disrupt his breating, and even a little activiy will dull the action of his limbs.Though a man may be ordinarily highly skilled at his techniques,if his breathing is uneven he cannot perform them.If he is facing one man,his opponent will lose control of his breathing too, and everything will be all right.If, however, he is fighting four or five men,if his breathing is rough,he will soon find himself unable to move at all....To master action in calm and calm in action you must conentrate all of your spirit into the one point in your lower abdomen.'

This art comes from Japanese swordsmanship, and this technique is passed down from those ancient soldiers.We are talking people who survived it, here.

And it may be as simple as keep your breathing under control, centered in the one point, like we do in Kata, and stay calm in action.

Tohhei gives a busload of simple successive excercises teaching how to very quickly learn to do all this, but warns that practice needs to continue for a long tie, or habits easily acquired are easily lost.

So my read on his method is that it is very simple, indeed, but siple does not equate to easy.Tohei has tried to make it as easy as it can be, but it still comes down to practice.

Maintaining the one point in peace is easy-to maintain it in case of battle is a matter of preparation, visualization, practice in a realistic manner, and 'grace under fire.'

Does Tohei's method deliver?Well, easy enough to find out, if someone has a Blue Suit around.:-)

I think it just might.

Thank you for the opportunity to share with all the fine martial artists and human beings on this forum.

John Versteeg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 1999 3:00 pm 

David where is this book available? Silkies?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 1999 10:54 am 

Van sensei,

You're very welcome and THANK YOU.

Mike, Yes. Silkie Way has it and most of the in print martial arts books. I love the fact that it's five 5 minutes away from my office.

Sorry for the delayed reply. Just got back from 10 days in the Great Northern Woods. The leaves are changing quickly up there. Fall is around the corner and Winter is not far off...

david