Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DARKEST INTENT
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 7:46 pm 

Very interesting stuff on this thread...felt I must comment.

I sense from what everyone has posted on this topic that we would like to think we would go out with a bang rather than a whimper. Well, I concur...I hope I would go down swinging too!!! Impressive points particularly from Shelly (you are a very smart woman) on knowing when compliance is no longer to your advantage.

Compliance can be the “make or break” of the situation - being used to catch the assailant off guard, lull him into a false sense of control, or to give yourself a quick moment to gather before you “go off” on this individual.

Perhaps a bit unrelated, but I happened to witness a fight this summer (quite by accident) between two dogs (usually lovely calm pets of friends). One dog, the subservient of the two, had maintained a compliant nature until she obviously decided it was no longer to her advantage to be compliant to the younger, bigger dog. I watched the frenzy of these two animals (I was completely terrified by their ferociousness and thought it would turn into a fight to the death) and after, when things calmed down and I could breathe, I starting thinking more and more about what I had seen and how I could apply it:

1. Both dogs survived the fight but both came away with scars. Neither one was going to back down and they both went for the “jugular” when attacking - this was no play time!!! Talk about your doggy chemical cocktail...

2. As I said, at the time I thought it was going to be a fight to the death (took 3 people to break it up). Neither dog was going to give up without intervention and we literally had to pull teeth out of legs and fangs out of ears. I believe that neither dog felt any pain until the “match” was over. Bloody paws and punctured ears went totally unnoticed during the fracas. God knows, I didn’t know I had been bitten until after the whole ordeal was over - I felt absolutely nothing.

3. I don’t believe the frenzy of the attack was thought out by either animal but to my mind both dogs were locked in a life or death situation and the instinct for survival was fascinating to observe...there was no panic from either dog. I keep thinking if there was some way to bottle and sell that ferocity in a situation where a life was at stake, I could make millions.

I guess the long and short of it is that the instinct for survival makes that animal come out. I think some time our “human” nature blinds us to the fact that it has become a survival situation.

Van Sensei - not sure I agree with your view on Lt. Grossman’s point about when a man becomes frightened he literally stops thinking with the mind of a human being, and begins to think with the portion of his brain that is indistinguishable from that of an animal! I think if anything the musket example and Lt. Grossman show us that it is not lack of thought but “panic” that hampers us in survival situations...in that situation, I would rather become that animal and survive any day.

------------------

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 8:47 pm 
Welcome Mary and thank you

I also picked up a few tips from watching my dog get into fights. We have had our female Sheltie(25 lbs) for 6 years. 4 years ago my husband brought home a male Alaskan Malamute "puppie" (70 lbs). I told my husband that if they can't get along the malamute would have to find a new home. Shortly after we got him, I was inside and heard the sheltie let out the most horrible cry of pain and ran outside to find the malamute standing over her growling. I was sure he was trying to kill her. We couldn't find any wounds and agreed to give it more time. It happend a few more times but we could never find any evidence of damage. About a week later, I was watching them through the window. The sheltie walked over to the malamute laid down under him between his front legs, started wimpering and crying like she was hurt, and then bit him hard in the leg to make him growl at her...We still have both dogs. I have seen her fight other dogs (a pit bull included) with so much energy and intent, that I can't believe that the wanna be "Cujo" is really my sweet little ball of fluff.
I agree with you that it's the panic that gets people. If that panic is a result of the "chemical cocktail" or not, I don't know. I have found that at times of high adrenaline rush, I do experience the use of only gross motor functions as Van Canna describes, but that I start thinking at a higher rate of speed than normal. And yes, adrenaline does amazing things to your pain tolerance.

------------------
Shelly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 3:03 pm 

You know, the more I think about it, the more good old "mushin" seems to factor into the equation... To have a "clear mind" (as opposed to an "empty mind") is the ultimate goal in situations that arise which are threatening to us...ever been in a car accident and remember with clarity every little detail of what happened during the moment you were no longer in control? Many people say that time stops, everything moves in slow motion and they become are aware of absolutely everything at the precise moment of being threatened. Once the danger has passed, then panic (adrenalin?) sets in and the shakes and stomach knots and giddyness hit full force - this is simply self-preservation and reflex at its finest. I can tell you that during the dog fight the entire moment was clarity and vision, after, however, I was an emotional wreck...I had class that night and still don't know how I got through it. But I think the secret is to remain aware and not allow extraneous thought to interfere in life-threatening situations...perhaps easier said that done!!

------------------