Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 10:48 pm 

In our various discussions of improvised weapons no one has mentioned the common thermos.

The Aladdin Stanley one quart thermos that I carry would apparently make one hell of a weapon. For those of you not familiar, the Stanley is a stainless steel cylinder with a handle fastened to the body of the thermos by steel links.

The thermos can be swung in long bridge motions (such as the Choy Lay Fut type blow that UFC contender Keith Hackney used to KO the sumotori). Obviously, if it is full of beverage it will hit harder.

It can be used to ward off a weapon attack much the same as a tonfa. Similarly, the handle (which is essentially a hand guard) can be used to twist when in contact with another weapon much as a jutte would.

The cylinder can be used as a prod or tool of thrusting and even reinforced with the rear hand in back of the body of the thermos. When holding the handle, the body of the thermos could be used as a very large tekko or brass knuckles.

In close, it can be gripped in a variety of ways including abandoning the hand guard mode afforded by the handle and holding it on both ends to perform upward or downward strikes against things that stick out like the nose or chin.

The thermos could conceivably be thrown. I'd rather throw my thermos at someone than my keys. The only thing that I'd be giving up is knowledge of what kind of coffee I like vs. entre to my front door.

What could be more unobtrusive and non-threatening than a thermos? Now to find a cone shaped cup to replace the standard issue.

Oh, if the guy is just too much you can always offer him a hot cup of joe.

------------------
Beware of brute force.

David
Uechi Ryu West

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2000 10:59 pm 
David,

Could you make up a Thermos kata? Seriously!

------------------
Allen, now at his new website [URL=http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 12:14 am 

My friend Joe once observed that coffee is most effective when topically applied. Of course, he was looking for ways to wake up.

Sheesh...my water bottle suddenly seems puny and insignifigant.

Train Harder! More Chi!
Jake Steinmann

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 12:22 am 

Hey Allen,

We could be HUGE. After Tornado Thermos Set (for advanced practitioners), we could do a mop and bucket set, a double Brillo set, and maybe even a flaming Drano set!

We should work out a thermos vs. something weapons kata for summer camp. Image Are you game?

------------------
Beware of brute force.

David
Uechi Ryu West

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 1:58 am 

Hmmm... Yes, I own one of those 'hidden' weapons. In fact, if it were full of McDonald's brand of 'scalding coffee' the contents could be used as a weapon. We better be careful or OSHA might make us install protective padding around them.

The darn thing appears to be bullet proof as well.

Tell me though David... How does it know when I want it to keep things hot sometimes and cold at others. Does it have 'chi'?

Rich 'Wondering' in Richmond

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 3:02 am 
test

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 3:04 am 

Rich,

I thought about using it like the beginning of the old Kung Fu series to deflect arrows and maybe even bullets, but I figured J.D. would jump my case. Image

It has mushin. It just lies there waiting for you.

------------------
Beware of brute force.

David
Uechi Ryu West

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 3:15 am 
I couldn't see any posts except your original one until now.

You could have a lot of fun -- imagine defending yourself with a pink pad... ooh.

But serious with the Thermos, tho. You could make up a lot of moves that you would consider viable with a Thermos and put them all together into a kata. If Fishermen can have the oar kata, why can't the American worker have the Thermos kata?

------------------
Allen, now at his new website ]http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2000 5:35 am 

Allen,

All kidding aside, you are absolutely right.
I wasn't kidding in the question about working up something for summer camp. It would be a lot of fun.

------------------
Beware of brute force.

David
Uechi Ryu West

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 3:28 am 

Thermos...Wow, what an improvement over what I have been using....Dixie riddle cups. I was on the right track obviously, but paper Dixie Riddle cups certainly lacked "stopping power".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 3:48 am 

Interesting! Talk about improvised weapons:

In Providence Rhode Island, some “kids” were arrested for showing up in clubs with sharpened drum sticks concealed in “custom pockets” on the inside of their long coats!

And how about bicycle seats rigged with a ten-inch piece of solid steel [dagger] machined to a spear point concealed down the tube!
And a steering wheel hollowed out club made into a shotgun barrel!

------------------
Van Canna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 9:14 am 
David,

For the opening move of the kata, start by pouring hot coffee into the plastic cover of the thermos. Start sipping the beverage, and keep sipping while doing moves with one hand. Half-way through the kata, switch hands, pour additional java, while doing moves on the other side. For the closed gate sequence, spray the remainder of the elixer forward onto the ground into your unconscious opponent's face.

Van,

I read about a bunch of kids, not far from Prov., some 40 years ago, used to tape single-edged razor blades, neatly conceiled between their fingers. One can get really creative if so inclined.

This stuff starts to border on some of the "treatments" used by the Nazis in their death camps during WWII with razor blades and glass rods.

------------------
Allen, now at his new website ]http://www.ury2k.com/pulse/index.htm]

[This message has been edited by Allen M. (edited January 14, 2000).]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 4:49 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
Quote:
For the opening move of the kata, start by pouring hot coffee into the plastic cover of the thermos. Start sipping the beverage, and keep sipping while doing moves with one hand. Half-way through the kata, switch hands, pour additional java, while doing moves on the other side.

The guy who has perfected this kata lives... Rory, poster on many forums and a corrections officer who not only perfected the kata but perfected the bunkai on real struggling inmates without spilling a drop!!!

And so young too; what can we expect next from this unique individual?? Image

------------------
Ted T.
The Fighting Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 7:15 pm 

David-Sifu:

With the utmost respect concerning the Coffee Kuen, I must make the following observations:

If a) the thermos is filled with hot liquids;
b) the lid is not damned near welded shut;
c) you care about progeny or sex;

then d)

Don't use a BOANG SAO!!! Image

Respectfully,

student

[

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 11:10 pm 

The thermos is becoming a high art. As it becomes illegal to carry one, we must work diligently to refine its use into a "way" (do) art.

We must take great care that the original raison d'etre of the thermos (combat, of course) is not minimized by those who would focus on its utilitarian attributes or those who would lose themselves in quest for rank and status.

------------------
Beware of brute force.

David
Uechi Ryu West