Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dojo Challenge
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 1998 6:32 am 

Van Canna Sensei,

Sensei Kaend has a great and fiercesome reputation throughout Orange County in So. California. The owner of the largest MA stores in all of So. California was a great friend of Sensei Kaend. This owner (who passed away this year) would always send referrals to Sensei Kaend whenever he felt that these individuals really wanted to learn traditional karate.

One day a couple of gang bangers (obviously ex-cons) walked into his store and asked the owner where they could find the toughest MA school in all of So. California. The owner asked them if they really wanted to be referred to the toughest instructor and school and the gang-bangers all said yes. The owner gave them directions to Sensei Kaend's and then called Sensei Kaend to warn him.

When these guys showed up Ahti politely took them over, gave them a little background and then asked them each to sit and watch for a while.

Sensei then called out his two toughest senior karateka and asked them to give a demonstration of arm pounding and leg pounding. The two seniors, knowing what was up, proceeded to give each other one of the fiercest poundings they could muster. (Anyone who has experienced Sensei Kaend's classes knows full well what I am talking about). The ex-cons eyes got wide, their mouths drooped open and then they stood up. They each started to feel their own arms and legs, deterrmined that there was no way that they could withstand such an assault, turned around and walked smartly out the door, withut so much as a friendly goodbye.

Since that day (which was many years ago) Sensei Kaend has never had anyone walk through his dojo door with a challenge.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 1998 3:59 am 

Miked,

Athi Kaend is very wise to send such a powerful signal ! I did the same when giving demonstrations at open malls or at organizations where beer drinking preceded the event . It never fails to sober up the hecklers , much more so than breaking a few lousy boards ! Another favorite of mine was my blocking response to someone walking up to me off the street at my dojo or at health clubs where I was teaching , asking if I could block their punch . As they wound up the punch I would give them a good kick in the leg , and while limping , they'd get the explanation about Uechi Blocks ! Another way to Psyche out potential troublemakers watching a class , is to have your best kicker 'warm up' against the heavy bag and heavy belly kicking and punching for conditioning drills !

Van

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 1998 6:54 am 

Van Canna Sensei,

I just love the way you handle the trouble makers. I'll have to remember those strategies if I am ever challenged.

Shihan Mehran Shahkar (Godan) runs a Uechi dojo in No. California not far from Berkeley. Every once in a while he receives the same types of challeneges that we have been discussing. This is his approach.

1) Mehran's response to anyone's self promoting grandstanding announcements of how tough they are is "Good for you!"

2) His reponse to being challenged is to request the individual to come in and watch a class. If the antagonist refuses he tells him that he will not spar anyone who is not a student but if the antagonist is looking for a fight he is welcome to come down to the dojo after class and meet Mehran in the street. Of course,if anyone is stupid enough to show up he has already warned the police to cruise by.

3) His reponse to anyone who asks something like "How would you block my punch?" is "I don't have to" and then offers the proponent a deal. The proponent can take one full-forced punch at Mehran in the chest or abdominals. Of course this offer always come after Mehran puts on a conditioning demonstration. One or two fools have actually taken up this offer and after having hurt their hands and wrists on Mehran's rock solid body they became dedicated students.

Best regards,

Mike