Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DOJO SHOWDOWN
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 1998 1:46 am 

Dojo showdown

Last night we conducted the monthly advanced workout at the Brockton dojo [2nd Friday] where I teach along with Bethoney sensei ! Upon arriving early and approaching the long corridor to Bob's office I heard some raised voices and I sensed something was awry ! Sure enough, two 'coke heads' with glazed eyes , were in Bob's office 'sassing' him …demanding to be taught 'only one lesson' and, when rebuked, getting bold : " we are pretty tough guys ..what don't you show us some of your moves ..sensei? " As Bob got up from the chair to tell them they had a choice between walking out or be carried out , I remained about ten feet outside the office as one of them came out with his hands in his pockets ! I had dropped the GI bag and I had my right hand on my hammerless .38 special inside my wind breaker slash pocket ! As I glared at him without saying a word , the other punk was backing out under verbal assault from Bob . By coincidence Art Rabesa , not knowing what was going on , had come out of the dressing room area and had sneaked up to the safety glass window of Bob's office , which he hit with a resounding boshiken to announce to us he was eager to start training ! The roaring noise sent the two punks scurrying out the door !

Much later , done with the workout , I got into my car and stopped at the gas station next door to refuel ! As I was about to exit , a car coming from the next island over , tried to cut me off from making a left turn into oncoming traffic and had me momentarily boxed in while waiting for traffic to clear ! looking over at the driver , it appeared he was one of the punks , alone in the car and glaring at me ! Fully expecting he might jump out of the car with a gun , as it quite often happens in some parts of Brockton , I took out my .38 special out of the pocket and kept it below side window level with my left hand on the window crank ..all the while staring down the motionless punk ! The chemical cocktail kicked in and I gladly received its familiar taste , my gun hand was steady as a rock ! The punk remained frozen in his seat for what seemed like an eternity under my stare , and finally when traffic cleared , I turned left ever so slowly, smiling at him ! He did not pursue ! Down the road about one mile , I felt my hands and legs shake some, in a most welcome way !

Van Canna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 1998 9:42 am 
And he never knew how close he came to buying the farm. Ignorance is bliss as two blissfully ignorants drove away.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 1998 2:26 pm 

"Down the road about one mile, I felt my hands and legs shake some, in a most welcome way!"

The final release of pent up emotions and feelings culminates when the mindset has been finely tuned to operate methodically and efficiently!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 1998 7:40 pm 

I love it!!!!!!! Another one for us "old guys." You can only imagine what the dirt- ball was thinking (assuming that he was thinking at all)....That old Karootie guy ain't no match for my stuff!
Hearing real life stories of what Pat McCarthy Sensei calls "habitual acts of unwanted physical aggression" reinforce the joy that I take in training, and wonderfully illustrate the "techniques" of the 36th Chamber...Fighting Without Fighting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 1998 12:42 am 
Hello DX (Doctor X)

S'heads walk into dojo looking for trouble more frequently than not. I've seen this at least half-dozen times across the US bt I'll bet it goes on all the time.

The problem that keeps them pursuing the interview is the often-time humble attitudes of good sensei. Van, Arthur, and Bobby do not look tough to the uneducated eye, rather they look like the average unnsuspecting dude. However the opposite is a fact which has been proven more than once.

The first time I met Van was at his home, a few miles from mine, and my first and persistant impression was that of a kind mild-mannered person with an outgoing helpful personality. If I didn't know who he was (in terms of martial arts) I could never guess who he is.

I'm sure these two suicide candidates had no idea either.

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 1998 3:51 pm 

Van sensei,

Under those circumstances, no one can do better than you did. We can do it differently but not better.

The same can be said of Bethony sensei. It was just as well he did not teach them a "lesson." The jerks sounded like they had nothing more than false bravado.

But, if the punks had more or they were more stupid/vengeful, then things may not be over. Beautiful dojos don't move. They can go up mysteriously in smoke in the middle of the night. Bethony sensei's schedule would not be hard to ascertain...

I heard a story of a talented gung fu master in New York's Chinatown. He gave no quarter to anyone, including the gangs. One day, a young kid rang his doorbell. He opened the door and the kid blew him away. Hard to say if the story is true. But, it has a ring of plausibility in the gang wars of the 60's/70's in New York's Chinatown.

Here is a true incident. When I first started working in youth services after college, I had a female co worker who was very strict, tough and fair with the kids. She threw some tough kids out of the gym. Several days later, she was clubbed unconscious by an attacker (?attackers) in the garage. Nothing was stolen from her.

It is easier to fight a total stranger or strangers than those who know you (and not necessarily you of them).

I am sure Bethony sensei knows to be a little more vigilant than usual for awhile.

david

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 1998 5:36 am 

Dear David ,
What you say is very true ! It is very difficult to deal with these situations involving 'dojo' invaders ! You must project no weakness in dealing with them and yet you must be careful not to set yourself up for a revenge raid ! The scary part , as you say, is that once the punks are put out the door , they can pick their time and place to ambush you when you come out from your last class by yourself and walk to your car ! Your very actions and words in dealing with the 'interview' may seal your doom ! It is like getting into a fight in a bar and the punk gets thrown out and you , instead of leaving right after him , remain in the bar basking in your success and belting a few …and then you get shot on the way out from a grassy knoll across the street !

What I found useful to cultivate when I had similar problems in my three dojos over the years , was a reputation of total ruthlessness when under a challenge ! One 'fighter' from another school, once , came in to challenge me to an all out sparring match in my Norwood dojo . As we talked , I told my students to go down and bolt the front and rear doors shut and to put a sentry at each door to prevent any escape from within ! Then I told the punk this would be the real thing with no rules …and that if I lost , then my students would knock the crap out of him and we would later spread the word his beating came from me ! The jerk was given a 'face saving ' way out with the tail between his legs while mumbling 'no fair' ! ! Bob Bethoney has been through this before and he always carries a .45 colt in and out of the dojo as he works for the sheriff department ! Give you enemy no quarters !

Van

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 1998 11:24 am 

Van sensei,

>>What I found useful to cultivate when I had similar problems in my three dojos over the years , was a reputation of total ruthlessness when under a challenge ! One 'fighter' from another school, once , came in to challenge me to an all out sparring match in my Norwood dojo . As we talked , I told my students to go down and bolt the front and rear doors shut and to put a sentry at each door to prevent any escape from within! Then I told the punk this would be the real thing with no rules …and that if I lost , then my students would knock the crap out of him and we would later spread the word his beating came from me !<<

This is a very serious commitment to the "group". It means no matter what happens everyone is in it together. It doesn't matter how the fight started, when one of yours is in, everyone is in. It means you should select your friends/members of the group wisely. The life and health of each group member are dependent on it. You want to be fairly assured when you go to battle, it is largely for what you can ethically live (and, perhaps, die) with.

There are people like that for me. Though our lives have gone separate ways, time does not eclipse that bond.

david

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 1998 11:24 am 

Van sensei,

>>What I found useful to cultivate when I had similar problems in my three dojos over the years , was a reputation of total ruthlessness when under a challenge ! One 'fighter' from another school, once , came in to challenge me to an all out sparring match in my Norwood dojo . As we talked , I told my students to go down and bolt the front and rear doors shut and to put a sentry at each door to prevent any escape from within! Then I told the punk this would be the real thing with no rules …and that if I lost , then my students would knock the crap out of him and we would later spread the word his beating came from me !<<

This is a very serious commitment to the "group". It means no matter what happens everyone is in it together. It doesn't matter how the fight started, when one of yours is in, everyone is in. It means you should select your friends/members of the group wisely. The life and health of each group member are dependent on it. You want to be fairly assured when you go to battle, it is largely for what you can ethically live (and, perhaps, die) with.

There are people like that for me. Though our lives have gone separate ways, time does not eclipse that bond.

david

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 1998 10:46 pm 

Whew, I have worried about a situation like that developing in the Richmond club. As it has turned out, we have a great filter at the entrance to the dojo - one must first plop down $500 for a membership to the health club to gain access to our classes.

So far only the truly interested have joined us. Being 'within' another larger entity has proven beneficial in that respect.

Rich

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 1998 2:54 am 

Whew!

Sitting in Canada, I can't find words to express how crazy that all sounds. Guns, regular dojo challenges, etc...If that is the American reality, you have just given me one more reason to love and live in the Great White (not really) North. Not that we don't have occasional dust ups, but you guys sound like you live, or believe you live, in a war zone. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this; I'm just genuinely dismayed.

Give some thought to moving to Canada. You can check your firearms at the border. We could use some additional, talented Uechi intructors. (There must be something nasty in the water supply down there!)

With respect & dismay
Hutch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 1998 4:14 am 

Hutch-san,

With respect, one dojo in one city does not a country make. This type of episode could certainly happen anywhere - although from what I understand about the neighborhood of the Brockton dojo - the likelihood is somewhat higher there...

Serious confrontations happen even in countries where weapons are checked at the border, and the lesson in this thread is perhaps that one's survival may depend upon the cultivation of a proper mindset, and an ability to commit completely to a situation - life or death - yours or theirs.

Another lesson may be that of vigilance - just because you thunk a shark on the nose, and it looks like it stopped circling, doesn't mean it is still watching from behind a reef somewhere -

Sharks know no boundaries - no countries - no loyalties. Challenges do not happen only in dojo located in rough neighborhoods, they happen in daily life - how we choose to deal with them defines who we are and who we are trying to be.

Peace,
Lori

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 1998 5:06 am 

Lori-san:

Thank you for your response. All that you say is true and I am not suggesting that reality needs adjustment or can be adjusted (although it would be nice if it could). I am just taken aback; like Van sensei has suggested some of us will be when confronted with life's grosser realities. It is not too hard to imagine the need to develop a seige mentality in any large city with a well-armed criminal element. After a while though, that mentality becomes so prevalent that you need a program to tell the good guys from the bad guys (we could always try the old white hats/black hats convention).

Indeed, in our country, there is a different atmosphere; its precise history is expansive and hard to discuss briefly. It is perhaps sufficient to say that violence begets violence. The United States was born under arms and many Americans have a fervent belief that might is right. When a hand gun is pointed at you, that argument must seem very eloquent. Canada was born out of negotiation and compromise. Force of arms has rarely been an acceptable part of conducting business in our country (outside our country is another matter). Your country (I'm assuming you are American)suffers horribly compared to ours. Yes, we still have our share of ruthless people and crackpots, but statistically to a much lesser extent. The tension and paranoia that flourishes in your country must be crushing! The pyschological harm that must accrue to your people has to be enormous.

Do not misunderstand; Canadians have been called upon to fight some terrific battles and have won an earnest reputation on history's battlefields as deadly and committed soldiers. We are not wall flowers. But when people I respect as much as I do the people who populate this forum feel compelled to draw weapons on the streets of their own cities, it makes me think that something is terribly awry. Their response (under the circumstances)is sane and devoted to righteous self preservation. I am all for that! But, I just felt the need to sound a lament; not useful or instructive, just a lament.

Maybe a more protracted discussion of the collective violent pysche of various populations around the world can be undertaken. Pehaps Van sensei has some interesting theories to lead a new thread.

With respect,
Hutch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 1998 5:15 am 

Hutch ,

Canada? Ha ! Nice country ! A few years back while hunting deer with Jim Maloney we took a shot at one at the edge of the road ! A few minutes later two 'hunters ' drunk to the gills and carrying loaded 30-06 rifles approached us and gave us an argument about the deer ! It seems they had been chasing it for hours , and how did we dare take a shot at 'their property ' ! One of them even took exception to the fact I was an American intruding in their homeland ! Then I told them I was Sicilian and they shut up pretty quick ! Great warriors with booze and loaded guns Maloney almost shoved up their back sides !

The next day coming back to Halifax in Jim's truck we came upon an accident scene on the highway , single vehicle rollover , two different hunters , walking around drunk and 30-30 rifles all over the road ! We stopped to help and they almost attacked us demanding to be taken out of there before the RCMP got there to throw them in the slammer ! Jim Let loose his huge German shepherd dog on them , you should have seen them cuss and stumble all over the road ! Like I said , Canada , nice country !

Italy , where I come from , is fairly safe and gun control is more stringent that Canada ! My cousin married this rabid antigun Russian lady "I won't have a gun in my house type" ..They had two beautiful children ..8 and 12 ! Lived in a secluded place …had been burglarized twice ..hey but that's life right?

One fateful afternoon two robbers invaded their home , they ran back in from the yard where the initial assault began and ,as they tried to shut the door , one robber stuck his foot in preventing the door from closing ! While the wife and children pushed against the door in terror , my cousin looked in vain for a suitable weapon an , of course, found none ! The brave 12 year old finally got an umbrella and tried to poke at the robber holding a gun ! A shot rang out and the little girl's brains splattered all over the ceiling …lucky for the rest of them the scum bags took off ..they could well have finished them all !

Listen to what Lori is saying before you pass judgment on people and Nations !

Van

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 1998 5:57 am 

I was thinking about heading over to the Westgate Mall in Brockton to pick up some boy scout duds for my son. Maybe I'll check to see if they take phone orders! Unless Van and his pals Mr Smith & Mr Wesson want to go shopping with me?

Please tell me that last Friday is a very isolated incident. Should I ever decide to attend a Friday night session ( it is open to all isn't it?) is safety in numbers the key to getting in and out safely?

VTY
Kevin