Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MIND SLAPS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 1998 6:05 am 

Going to mindset >>>worth mentioning and cultivating in your memory banks is the strategic approach to psychological warfare as outlined by Geoff Thompson !

As you know you can find yourself in an "interview " situation quite suddenly and anywhere , for any reason , and in total surprise ! A few drinks will turn a wimp in a macho man , especially if he has his wife / girl friend by his side and he has to prove that he is a man for all seasons ! Same for the irate motorist who is chasing you down the road , because you cut him off , and he is now out of his car at a red light approaching your driver's side window cursing and foaming at the mouth ! The idiot at the new year eve's party thinking it is safe to put the moves on your date because you look like a milquetoast ! You know the smart mouths , the drunks ready to puke all over the girl they have built up the courage to ask to dance and get turned down !

Yeah , I know >>>ignore him , right ? Not that easy >> be honest with yourself >>especially if you size him up and think you can take him >>or if you think your date/your wife has been insulted [ you have it in your mind that she may think you are less of a man if you don't take a stand] ! Also , with some , the more you show restraint , the more emboldened they become and the more offensive their insults !!

Some , but not all , of these "warriors" don't really have the stomach for a "blood" fight and can be psyched out without an all out battle if you can project fearless determination and establish dominance and control!

Thompson describes the strategies of "the push >>the slap>>and the challenge"

Think about the challenge ! Thompson says it is very effective with some>> as lots of 'tough guys' will back down quickly when called one on one by a determined opponent ! It is a very sharp verbal attack delivered with conviction and a certain inflection in your voice combined with that 'certain look' that will turn the 'opponent's feet into clay " [ like ..get back in your car or I'll kick you back in !]

Think about the push ! You will see this often as a prelude to full blown swing fest , you may have used it yourself ! It is the very violent two arms push to the chest to send the jerk tumbling backwards and destroy his resolve to fight by 'first contact' !

Then you have the 'slap' ! Thompson says it shocks you into submission as prey without really hurting you >>> in a humiliating tactic >> if you are just bluffing ! This is one of the preferred tactics back in southern Italy to see what you really got !Now this can be dangerous as it might trigger a violent uncontrolled reaction , a weapon could be pulled etc. SO >> It is best to think of the slap as a knockout blow ! If you have practiced the "Uechi slapping method" you will have no problem at least stunning your adversary ! Know the technique ??

Van Canna

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 1998 4:38 pm 

I know the technique. Years ago at a party, some brainless dope tried to admire my wife's chest with his hands. Big mistake! The effort it took to show my displeasure at the insult he just proferred was minimal. I put a nice tight grab onto his throat and sat him down on a chair and told him directly and firmly keep his hands to himself. I don't think my words alone would have had the same impact on him. As Johnny Carson once said, you can get more with kinds words and a gun than you can with kind words alone.

I didn't take the time to note his size, ( pretty much everyone was bigger than me then) , nor did I care that he had a group of friends with him (they did not come to his aid).

The technique was to act quickly, and not discuss the proper method of gaining the attention of an attractive woman.

By the time the idiot had the time to regain his composure, I had beat feet out of there knowing full well he and his friends could have planned a surprise for me later if I stayed around.

There are times for diplomacy and times for action. I believe he learned a valuable lesson that night.

VTY

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 1998 12:43 am 

Kevin,

"I put a nice tight grab onto his throat and sat him
down on a chair "

That is a good way to shock someone real quick and even quicker to make him loose consciousness if your DEATH grip is latched onto the jugular ! Another way is to pin him to the wall while pressing in an up into the brain while you sneer at him !

But what I call the < Uechi slap > is nothing more than our "fishtail" wrist block propelled with the torqueing , twisting palm into the lower jaw and up into the " brain" ! Work against the bag ; you will be amazed at the power you will develop ! And it is almost impossible to block because it is invisible to the opponent ! If you connect with maximum speed and torque [ Rabesa comes to mind] the punk will go down like he had been shot !

" As Johnny Carson once said, you can get more with
kinds words and a gun than you can with kind words alone"

True ..like " speak softly but carry a big stick " But if wait too long to pull out the stick , it might well end up your backside ! That is why all the "goody two shoes " you have seen post on my forum , who believe in the goodness of their fellow men , get suckered while they are still into "block mode" and ,as GEM puts it , the blow from the attacker hits bone while the defender touches flesh !

You wrote "The technique was to act quickly, and not discuss the proper
method of gaining the attention of an attractive woman"

Got that one right ! Besides the idiot would not understand much beyond " getting drunk and - hey you want get laid - ? " as the favorite pick up line ! Most men in our neck of the woods have no conception how to approach a woman ; no wonder American men are so vilified by their own women and why there are so many films and sitcoms about " men bashing" !

You may remember my formidable student , Paul Shea : Same thing happened to him in an elevator in Boston , when two drunken "businessmen" made some rude and lewd remarks about his extremely well endowed fiancee . The doorman found them out cold with their faces in their own blood and puke !

You wrote " By the time the idiot had the time to regain his composure, I had
beat feet out of there knowing full well he and his friends could
have planned a surprise for me later if I stayed around."

This is the most valuable lesson in strategy ! I.E. , if you get in a hassle in a bar , get out gracefully [don't slink out] ..never give the punks the advantage of time to set up an ambush when you eventually leave the joint ! The problem is more acute if you have paid good money to attend the new year's eve festivities at some club and now your evening is ruined and you think of leaving !

But then again , we should have our heads examined if we decide to celebrate in a public place with drunken strangers all around and our attractive girl/wife is wearing a short skirt but no bra !
Additionally , some women get flirtatious after a few drinks and send the wrong signals to some 'moron' in the wings who sizes you up as a wimp and decides to ' cut in' ! I have investigated quite a few " Killings" flowing from that particular type of situation . Know who you are with ,[ lots of scatter brained women around as well ], and don't set yourself up for a fall , especially at some new year's eve party !

Van Canna

[This message has been edited by VAN CANNA (edited 11-29-98).]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 1998 3:11 am 

A quick sidenote, Van:
Did you see the recent movie with Robin Williams playing a psychiatrist facing a South Boston prodigy? The tough guy was hitting everyone's Achille's heel, ****ing off a judge and getting fired by shrinks. Williams, responding to provocative words by the genius punk against Williams' late wife, grabbed his throat and said, "You disrespect my wife again and I'll END you, man!" They ended up, much later, embracing. This movie, along with the beautiful work by Judd Hirsch in "Ordinary People," are my "raison d'etre," for anyone who would care to know.

I like this topic very much.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 1998 1:51 pm 

Van, you wrote

The problem is more acute if you have paid good money to attend the new year's eve festivities at some club and now your evening is ruined and you think of leaving !

Now in that case the circumstances might have been entirley different with me as a true Scotsman who doesna like to part wi' his copper.

I spent last New years eve at Icarus in Boston and it wasn't the men I have to worry about picking up my wife if you get the drift.

VTY

Kevin