Uechi-Ryu.com

Discussion Area
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 1998 11:55 am 

We seem to spend a lot of effort on why and the one way-out variable or situation that will make it not work.

In my business if you think it won't work, Guess what? It won't!!!

Mentally I train to go after the leader or biggest toughest member of the gang/crowd on the beach with my daughter fighting at my side. What do you guys think this is a Wild West Movie, "You women folk get in the root cellar and load the rifles we'll shoot the Indians!" I'll take my chances with her, not running away where some hyena can run her down alone.
Did anyone consider my post from 12/7/98 on Force Contimuum "I like door (choice) number 6 swim away."
Mike
PS. I wasn't aware Van's friend was carrying but should have known better when I postulated the swimming solution.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 1998 2:27 am 

Mike,

Your suggestions of swimming away or taking on the leader in all out attack with your daughter by your side , may well be viable solutions depending upon the timing and dynamics of the confrontation!

If you are on miles of deserted beach front , late at night , as my friend was , where are you going to swim to ? The punks will be entertained and will have a beer party walking along the beach until you decide to come ashore exhausted!

You have to assess the chances of distance and timing ! In my friend's case , he knew that the highway was within reach by his daughter 's dash to safety and call for help ! [ cell phone in the car ] ! Better would have been a portable cell phone with a 911 speed dial , mated to a 1911 colt .45 !

As David says, the real weapon is the mind , the gun or any means you have to fight with, are simply an extension of the mind .Yet you must fight smart to survive , and you must create the impression that you are worse than they are if they decide to take you on , and you must believe that you will be or you will be lost !

Unfortunately , all the dan ranks in the world , private lessons from Nakahodo sensei or other high ranking Okinawan master , ability to break baseball bats with your shin etc. , won't do you much good against superior numbers and weapons and drunken punks ! That is why the handgun is called the "great equalizer" -and the punks knew my friend was about to blow them away , that's why they desisted from their nefarious intent !

I know this doesn't square well with the lotus eaters gracing this website , but unless you are well schooled in the principle of "force continuum" you will forever be nothing but "white bread" …and , as I have said before, be sure to buy an extra long "black belt" , so that it will fit nicely around your casket when they will use it to lower your ass into the ground !

Van Canna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 1998 12:07 pm 

Thanks Van,
I knew they were viable solutions.
My thinking has changed and I'm actually closer to carrying again than I've been in years. The fact that I have teenagers at home is what stops me.
(I'm afraid I would be tempted to use it on them!)
Mike.