Akron...anyone???

Locate a teacher or instructor in your area. Also a forum for posting information about your new or unpublicized dojo.

Moderator: gmattson

Shelly King

Akron...anyone???

Post by Shelly King »

My job may be requiring me to spend a couple of weeks in Akron, Ohio over the next couple of months...anyone know of a Uechi dojo there?

------------------
Shelly
Steve

Akron...anyone???

Post by Steve »

Hi Shelly - as the only admitted native Ohioan on these forums, I can tell you that there aren't any Uechi-ryu dojos in Northeast Ohio. The closest Uechi practitioner from Akron is Greg Postal in Dayton (too far to drive).

I have been involved in martial arts since the early 1980's and had not heard of Uechi-ryu until I moved from Cleveland to south eastern Massachusetts. Shows more of my ignorance than of Uechi-ryu's lack of "brand recognition."

There are plenty of other dojo in the Akron/Canton/Kent area - perhaps a little "cross-training" will suffice.

Have fun on your assignment! Best regards, Steve

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
Shelly King

Akron...anyone???

Post by Shelly King »

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info...not sure I'm at a point in my training where it's safe to cross-train. Have enough trouble remembering to do the things I need to do for Uechi, don't think I could handle new ideas right now. Probably will depend on how long it looks like I'll be visiting Ohio and how often. Not sure at this point. Our company headquarters are in New Jersey and we have sister plants all over the Virginia and MA areas. Prior to my training, I had numerous reasons to go to the east coast, now that I train, haven't had a single opportunity to make it out there. Instead I get the glamour trips to Nebraska and Ohio. Just waiting for them to send me to Siberia next. Image

------------------
Shelly
student

Akron...anyone???

Post by student »

Shelly-chan:

To develop Steve's suggestion a little farther (No, Steve; you're not the only transplanted Buckeye here!) Why not try something totally different while in Akron: Tai Chi, Hsing Yi, Aikido, BJJ? Akron is cosmopolitan enought to have a good selelction, and if not Akron you are within easy drive to Cleveland.

Good luck. Image

student

[This message has been edited by student (edited January 25, 2000).]
Jackie Olsen

Akron...anyone???

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Ditto ... there are more of us transplanted Buckeyes around here than you realize, Steve!

Jackie
Shelly King

Akron...anyone???

Post by Shelly King »

I'll keep the cross-training in mind. I think it will really depend on how long I'm going to be in Akron.

------------------
Shelly
student

Akron...anyone???

Post by student »

And some of us don't have nearly the income of an M.D. and have a discomfort level in driving as well, due to joint pains.

And to disengage before the riposte, this attorney's income is nowhere near L.A. Law standards!

Sigh. More clients....

student

[This message has been edited by student (edited January 19, 2000).]
Greg

Akron...anyone???

Post by Greg »

Shelly,

Speaking of blinding snow... while at the moment I wouldn't advise anyone driving around here ('blizzard-like' would sum it up), Mapblast tells me Akron is about 3 hours away. As for Steve, we here in OH finally got rid of him... Image (actually I think that OH and MA worked out some kind of a trade, with he and I passing one another along the way - I won't even speculate as to the disparity, nor which state owes money to whom).

Anyway, I won't call you a wuss if you are unwilling to drive 3 hours. Also, I can respect your self-imposed limitations on cross training at this point in your Uechi career (I waited until Nidan before I felt reasonably sure I wouldn't forget my Uechi if I tried to hold other stuff in my brain!). I can't, however, promise you that if you come train here that I will be able to restrain myself from potentially exposing you to some "new ideas," at least about Uechi! Anyway, feel free to contact me: <A HREF="mailto:gpostal@earthlink.net">gpostal@earthlink.net</A> Oh crap, now J.D. has my e-mail address... Image

greg

P.S. J.D. I have found throwing myself repeatedly down a flight of stairs provides a reasonable substitute for training with some of the seniors...
Lori

Akron...anyone???

Post by Lori »

From yet one more transplanted buckeye (my we are coming out of the wood work aren't we???) I have to second/resemble the remark about the throwing oneself down stairs as comparable to the pain level after training with Sensei Canna...

My very first sensei is now located in Indianapolis if you ever get promoted to the Indiana type trips Shelly-san. Let me know if that is ever in the cards and I'll hook you guys up.

Peace,
Lori
Shelly King

Akron...anyone???

Post by Shelly King »

Oh my dear sweet JD...nice picture by the way...hair seems darker than in your other picture.

So far I am planning a trip to Texas in June and then off to Canada in July all for the sole purpose of letting seniors abuse my poor broken body. The concern for a 3 hour drive will depend on my work load while in Akron. We don't all have those cushy jobs where we can hang out in the doctor's lounge and chase nurses around the desk.

Greg
Will definately keep your offer in mind...company has began encouraging Saturday stayovers because of airline prices...might be able to workout a Friday night or Saturday thing. I'll contact you.

Lori
Indiana is always a possibility, though I'm going to start doing like my boss and pick machine builders based on location. He always seems to find someone in California to do whatever jobs we need done.

------------------
Shelly
Steve

Akron...anyone???

Post by Steve »

WOW! Surprised at the number of ex-buckeyes on the forum. Guess that it's a great place to be from!

Shelly - still haven't found a "perfect" solution for you. Did find a Goju-ryu dojo in Solon (between Akron and Cleveland) - which may be of interest because of its similar Okinawan roots.

Greg - no question about it, Ohio got the better deal. Now they have an officer, a gentleman, and a certified Uechi-ryu instructor!

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
student

Akron...anyone???

Post by student »

Ohio got the better deal?

Speak for yourself and me, Steve, but don't throw Jackie-chan and Lori-chan into that mix!

Forgive him, ladies, nor'easters affect him that way....

student.
maurice richard libby

Akron...anyone???

Post by maurice richard libby »

Jackie Chan is from Ohio? Boy, am I surprised!

maurice

p.s.Just kidding Image

------------------
maurice richard libby
toronto/moose jaw
Ronin at large
Shelly King

Akron...anyone???

Post by Shelly King »

Why wouldn't I be surprised to hear that all of you (except Greg) moved from Ohio for the sole purpose of studying Uechi! Come on, I've got the tall boots on today. Let's hear it.

------------------
Shelly
Greg

Akron...anyone???

Post by Greg »

Boy do I have egg on my face... I moved to Ohio to study Uechi Image

[This message has been edited by Greg (edited January 25, 2000).]

Return to “Locate a Teacher or Dojo”