L.A. workouts

Locate a teacher or instructor in your area. Also a forum for posting information about your new or unpublicized dojo.

Moderator: gmattson

miked

L.A. workouts

Post by miked »

Hello All,

I have started to run training sessions once a week in L.A. on Sundays. I currently have one student. The workout is informal (no patches, no cost, no gi's). I do this for free and my only motivation is to spread the art, to the best of my ability.

If I received enough interest, I would be willing to add an additional night during the week. If we eventually get enough people we could look for a hall to rent. I also teach/train at Master Kaend's dojo in Garden Grove, CA.

For those of you who don't know me I started training, as a young teen, in 1972 with Bob Bethoney. I then went on to train with Forrest Sanborn (dec'd), Carmine Di'Ramio, Jack Summers, Rod Mindlin and now Ahti Kaend. For those who care, I hold Yondan under Okikukai.

Below is my contact information:

Michael DeDonato
8180 Manitoba St. #116
Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
mjdcgb@mediaone.net

Of course, anyone visiting L.A., please give me a heads-up and we'll plan a session, together.

I will reply to any emails with my work and home phone numbers (I just don't want to give them out so publicly)

BTW, for those of you who are wondering, there are no other dojos or teachers in the L.A. & Orange County, CA area other than myself, Gushi Sensei and Kaend Sensei. There is another individual claiming to be a Shihan and a Master instructor who has since shut his dojo. This man has never earned Shihan rank under Okikukai (or any other organization, as far as I can determine) and some of his students now train in Kaend Sensei's dojo. If any of you are contemplating training with an individual based in L.A. other than myself, Gushi Sensei or Kaend Sensei, please contact me first so we may discuss the situation.

All the best,

Mike
Joe Graziano

L.A. workouts

Post by Joe Graziano »

Mike:

Congratulations on beginning your dojo, and all the best to you. I began my dojo in September 1998, in Los Alamitos (Orange County), California. I have studied Uechi since July 1968. Carmine Diramio and the late Forrest Sanborn were my first teachers. I have studied under Mr. Walter Mattson since 1975, and am honored to be among his senior students. I have also studied under Mr. Shinyu Gushi since 1995, and am likewise honored to be among his senior students. I am proud that both of these great karate men endorse, oversee, and support my dojo. My association affiliations are: Ryukokaku (Mr. Gushi's association) in which I am Kyoshi, ranked Nanadan (Ryukokaku Karate & Kobudo registration no. 7002, issued 12-01-99) and Okikukai, in which my current rank is Renshi Rokudan (Okinawa Karatedo Association registration number 68, issued 08-13-94).

My dojo is alive and well and continues in Los Alamitos (Orange County) California. Prospective students and others are welcome to contact me at jgraziano1@earthlink.net.
miked

L.A. workouts

Post by miked »

Joe,

My deepest apologies. My mind had just a short-circuit when I listed off the instructors in So. Cal.

Joe has always been my sempai and has my deepest respect and admiration.

I would highly recommend that anyone coming to So. Cal. to train or visit to contact Graziano Sensei for instruction.

Joe, I am sure you are aware of whom I was referring regarding the claim of false credentials teaching in L.A.

All the best,

Mike
Joe Graziano

L.A. workouts

Post by Joe Graziano »

Mike:

Thanks for your response ... and the kind words. Glad to see the ravages of aging - most notably forgetfulness - are affecting you also. (Geez, now everyone's going to think we're real old, huh?)

We sure learned some great lessons from Forrest. (BTW check out GEM's memorial site if you haven't already.) He would be proud that we are doing our very best to provide quality instruction to our students.

I would recommend you EMAIL George Sensei to request a listing in his teacher directory as I have done.

All The Best,
Joe
Robb in Sacramento

L.A. workouts

Post by Robb in Sacramento »

Joe and Mike:

Are you guys sure that town's big enough for the both of you? If not we always have room for you up north. Peace
Robb in Sacramento
Joe Graziano

L.A. workouts

Post by Joe Graziano »

Speaking of "real old" ... It's my old friend Rob V. from Sacto. (aka Sacrotomato). Rob has produced a number of solid Uechi students over the years, and is a great guy (for a lawyer). He's not a criminal defense lawyer, so that's good.

BTW Rob, with today's mobile work force, I'll be happy to take any of your former students who may have moved down this way. What the heck, you've already done most of my work for me.

Hope all is well with you, my friend. Happy New Year to you, and your family and students.

Joe
miked

L.A. workouts

Post by miked »

Hi Robb,

Good to hear from you!

I'll always defer to my sempai, Joe, and will refer students to him who live down "that -a -way".

I also second Joe's recommendation of Robb. If you find yourself in No. Calif., look him up, You might learn a few things.

Mike
Robb in Sacramento

L.A. workouts

Joe and Mike:

Thanks. I don't get south of the Tehachapi range often, but next time I'm down that way I will look you guys up. Joe, it's been way too long since we shared a training floor. Mike, it is always a pleasure to see you at the various workouts. Next time there is a camp in Monterey, drag Joe along.
Peace.
Robb in Sacramento
Robb in Sacramento

L.A. workouts

Steven:

Thanks for the good thoughts. The students you worked with in El Sobrante are still talking about your strength and insight. They are all looking forward to working with you again, and have several of their peers hoping for an opportunity to train with you soon.

Doctor X:

Thanks for the assist.

If we keep this up, folks are going to think we're having one big Uechi love in out here. Should we warn them about the party after the training?

Peace.
Robb in Sacramento

Return to “Locate a Teacher or Dojo”