The Real Deal

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

Oldfist

Post by Oldfist »

[b]RA Miller[/b] wrote: IMO opinion, Mike's first post wasn't about how he saw himself or his art and certainly not about how he saw anyone else's. I think he was simply acknowledging and "Aha moment" about how he had seen world.
Rory:

The reason I posted initially, is exactly that if this and only this is what Mike wanted to communicate, his post lacked the clarity needed to do so--as evidenced by responses above.

Acknowledging an "Aha moment" is fine, and good cheerleading. But doing so in the context of describing specific interesting things learned at camp (e.g. involving awareness, techniques, and mindset) would probably have been more useful and less yogurt disturbing. :D
[b]f.Channell[/b] wrote: There are different levels of real situations as well.
Look at Jack Summers Sensei and his time fighting on Iwo Jima.
F.
Fred--yes exactly!

John
mikemurphy

real deal

Post by mikemurphy »

John,

Looking back at the responses to the correctly stated "AHA MOMENT" that Rory mentions, in which I initially wrote about, you seem to be the only person that needs clarification. I don't mind, because I think the banter was/is fun and it brings out many good points.

Let me ask you, and anyone out there listening. I don't know how long you have been practicing the martial arts, or what art(s), or even none at all, but have you really had to use your skill in a life or death situation yet? If so, tell us about it and how you reacted, etc.

thanks,

mike
Oldfist

Re: real deal

Post by Oldfist »

[b]mikemurphy[/b] wrote:
John,

Looking back at the responses to the correctly stated "AHA MOMENT" that Rory mentions, in which I initially wrote about, you seem to be the only person that needs clarification. I don't mind, because I think the banter was/is fun and it brings out many good points.
I enjoy it too! Sorry, next time I'll wait for Rory to explain what you said.
[b]mikemurphy[/b] wrote: Let me ask you, and anyone out there listening. I don't know how long you have been practicing the martial arts, or what art(s), or even none at all, but have you really had to use your skill in a life or death situation yet? If so, tell us about it and how you reacted, etc.

thanks,

mike
Nice non sequitur, and kind of intimidating too.

what happen to:
[b]mikemurphy[/b] wrote: So, don't take what is written as insulting or derogatory; otherwise, no one will feel that they can write anything at all. Feel free to write what you feel in my forum and state your opinion.
I guess I don't understand this either.

John
mikemurphy

real deal

Post by mikemurphy »

John,

You are looking way too deep into these comments. Just to set the record straight (again), if I wanted to be intimidating or insulting, I wouldn't hide it. I would come right out and say it. With that said, I was trying to lead you and others off on a small tangent.

The question was whether or not you have been in a life or death situation and had to use what you have (or have not as the case may be) trained for. The answer for me is no (thank God), I haven't. So I can honestly say, I don't know how I would react with almost 30 years in. How about you??

(This was not intended to be a threatening or intimidating letter) 8O

thanks,

mike
Oldfist

Re: real deal

Post by Oldfist »

mikemurphy wrote:John,

... I was trying to lead you and others off on a small tangent.

The question was whether or not you have been in a life or death situation and had to use what you have (or have not as the case may be) trained for. The answer for me is no (thank God), I haven't. So I can honestly say, I don't know how I would react with almost 30 years in. How about you??

(This was not intended to be a threatening or intimidating letter) 8O

thanks,

mike
I don't really want to get into details on a public forum. But here's one example. I can say that I have been in a life threatening situation (when I was young and stupid), but I didn't know it until the fight was over with the other guy being carried off by his friends, and my friends picking up the weapons the other guy had dropped: an open knife and a can opener.

That was a defining moment for me in which I realized that street fights with strangers were like rolling the dice with your looks, and worse, your life. After this experience, I made up my mind that this activity wasn't going to be weekend entertainment anymore.

I don't know what I would have done, if I had seen the weapons first. Now, I would run and not even have engaged the guy in the first place. :D

I had no formal training then, just the activity itself. I got into MAs much later when my son became interested in it and I decided that I wanted to find out what the experts in fighting had to say about it. I'm sorry I haven't done MAs all my life, because I love every aspect of it. We started training in Shorin-ryu, then $hito-ryu, and now we do Kenpo and wushu. Must run now to learn double broadsword.

John

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”