Diffusing escalating symmetry

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

Steve

Post by Steve »

I'm really enjoying this forum - and am looking forward to learning more about the art of verbal self defense.

My questions are:

How does one diffuse an encounter that has degenerated into escalating symmetry?

Is there a way out that allows both participants to save face?

And is there a correlation between gender and propensity to engage in escalating symmetry?

Best regards, Steve

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yes - I've found some of the answers in the other threads on the forum. Thank you.

My gut feeling is that escalating symmetry (example of two people arguing: oh yea, YEA. oh YEA, YEA. your (insert parent here), NO YOUR (parent)!) isn't correlated to gender and that the only way to save face is to either diffuse the situation immediately or to refuse to engage.

------------------
D. Steven White
swhite@umassd.edu
ozarque

Post by ozarque »

I don't want you to think that I'm ignoring your questions -- that's not my intention. I think that if you check some of the other threads in this forum you'll find that I've been posting answers which are directly relevant to the questions you've asked. Please let me know if you disagree.

Suzette

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”