VSD Topics and Policy

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

LenTesta

VSD Topics and Policy

Post by LenTesta »

The topics that I would like to discuss on these forums should be centered on this message taken from a post by Sensei Mattson:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>1. The role language plays in the way participants interact on these Forums. Here, people can register using an anonymous name and without the threat of physical violence, wreak havoc with words. People get very upset; say things they probably never would say face to face with another person and certainly not in front of a large group. I was interested in learning why certain posts pushed my emotional buttons, when in fact; the words could not hurt me. I was also interested in learning how to respond to emotional posts (or flames).
2. I was also very interested in learning how we might fine-tune the words we use during the 'interview' portion of a fight, to possibly defuse the conflict. Obviously there are situations where a person is 'sucker' punched (or knifed, or shot) without an interview, but in most cases I would think that some kind of verbal interaction takes place before the actual physical fight. In my estimation, the martial art community does not spend enough (any) time working on this part of a conflict.
I would think that any time two emotional individuals were engaged in a heated conversation, the possibility of physical violence is possible. I don't think you can isolate VSD as a purely verbal art without considering the potential physical element.
If we become angered over Internet words, where a form of pure VSD can be practiced, think how much more difficult it will be to practice VSD when we are trying to talk our way out of a physical fight!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My Policy for posts and responses is very simple.
1. Post comments about these topics. How they relate to avoidance of physical confrontation. How we can train in these methods.
2. If you disagree with a posting. Please respond to the content only. Personal insults will not be tolerated and will be flushed down the cyber toilet {I have a good teacher Image}.

------------------
Len Testa
LenTesta

VSD Topics and Policy

Post by LenTesta »

If there are any topics that are on the other forums (such as the Honor, humiliation and avoidance thread on Van's forum) that may pertain to VSD, please post the same topic on this forum and we can discuss the VSD part of it here.

------------------
Len Testa

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”