first communication?

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

crazycat

first communication?

Post by crazycat »

Len, I think you have one of the toughest jobs on this forum, you must have plenty of patience. I found this little story and have a two page story similar to this one. I don't know where it came from or how, but its has a story and a hidden language of its own. I post it here for you so that you might use it.

"Long ago, all tribes came together to build a tower to reach up to the lodge of the sun, to snatch an ember from its fire pit. With such a prize they would never have to struggle again to build fires in the rain or cold or dark. An ember from the sun would give everlasting fire and warmth and light."

"The tower grew up, made of trees and whalebones and mud, but the builders started arguing over the way it should be constructed. They got angrier and angrier, and their harsh words twisted and knotted their tongues, till they weren't even speaking the same language---they couldn't understand each other at all. Finally, one misplaced twig collapsed the whole thing."
Ted Dinwiddie

first communication?

Post by Ted Dinwiddie »

Another iteration of the story of the Tower of Babel. Origin of the word babble, maybe?
LenTesta

first communication?

Post by LenTesta »

crazycat:
Thanks for the encouraging words. Please don't say that to my wife, she will think you are talking about someone else. Image

Most of the time when we get too comfortable with our surroundings (at home for instance), we forget about patience. I fly off the handle too fast and then immediatley regret the nasty words that come out of my mouth. It is hard to imagine that they can get out considering that my foot is so deeply planted in there sometimes.

One great lesson I learned from karate training is this... To become a great student, you must become a good teacher.
When teaching someone karate movements, you must perform them correctly or else you appear to be a "do as I say, not as I do teacher." You must reinforce the movements in your own mind and that makes you a better student as well as a teacher.

I am also using this theory to help me have patience when I am in a comfortable surrounding such as my home.

Being a moderator on this forum helps me to do that. But alas, we are only human. I still have a looong way to go to improving my patience at home. I am all talk though and very rarely do I get the urge to exhibit violence. I used to get angry and punch walls and doors but I learned very fast (since the repairs came out of my pocket and I had to do the labor) to stop doing that.
I guess this helps me use VSD in confrontations.

Ted: I believe you are correct about this comming from that story. I seem to remember reading this some time ago.

------------------
Len Testa
crazycat

first communication?

Post by crazycat »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ted Dinwiddie:
Another iteration of the story of the Tower of Babel. Origin of the word babble, maybe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Ted you are correct, it is almost exactly.

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”