When the VSD fails

"OldFist" is the new and official Forum Arbitrator. "I plan to do a straight forward job of moderating, just upholding the mission statement of the forums, trying to make sure that everyone is courteous, and that no one is rudely intimidated by anyone else."

Moderator: gmattson

LenTesta

When the VSD fails

Post by LenTesta »

When the VSD does fail, and we all know we must attempt this first, we can use the powerful additions to our training learned from seminars held by the Super Seniors of Uechi-ryu. I was fortunate to have 4 such excellent Masters to work with this past weekend.

This past Saturday, November 11, there was a superb seminar at Master Sensei Bob Bethoney's Uechi-ryu Karate Dojo in Pembroke. All in attendance were black belts save for one lucky brown belt. We were shown many advanced principles.

First off, we were there to witness Sensei Dave Hunt's Rokudan test, which was held immediately after the workout. His Sensei, Duncan McLeod and some of his students from Canada Were there. Lori, Peter, Mary, Karen, Brett and many others that I met were joined by Sensei Bethoney's finest, Peter Blackman, Jeff D'Ambly, Sara Bethoney and me. Alan Moulton, and John Thurston were also there. Special guest Tony-san, a contributor to these forums, who was staying with Van for the weekend was also in attendance. Tony informed us of his journey the night before at Khoury's Academy of Karate and showed us where Gary's foot left an impression on his chest. Image

Sensei Bethoney opened the class with some music and cardio movements then went into the junbi undo and hojo undo. He finished with a 5 minute long dynamic Sanchin.

He then turned the class over to Master Sensei Van Canna for a one-hour TC workout going over Sanchin and Seisan.

Master Sensei Rabesa was next. He started out by saying that Van had covered everything that he would have so he would be very explicit with a 15 minute (but it was well worth it) workout, expanding on one of Vans TC concepts. We practiced wauke blocks with the hands close together as if we were performing with our hands cuffed. Sensei Rabesa demonstrated the 6-12-6 o'clock position, getting us to eliminate the kicking part of the block. This makes sense to us advanced students because if there is no kick there is no need to waste time utilizing that part of the block. Getting the body to move the block while standing stationary or moving slightly forward was as Sensei Rabesa explained it "the lazy way". As I get older, I get lazier, says Arthur. I let the attacker do all the work. Arthur is not lazy when he punches. He has extremely powerful punches with little forward movement, as he demonstrated with "in close" kumite drills.

Then it was Master Sensei Jim Maloney's turn as he continued with his 40% stance to height seminar that he was teaching at the summer camp and at the TC class at the BUKA.
Jim went over the concept again showing us and Master Sensei George Mattson, (who arrived just in time for Jim to dedicate this portion of the seminar to him) the relationship of the stance to the height and the elasticity that can be achieved in the strike in this stance. (See the 40% is more thread on this forum for explanation of the stance) The reach of the strike while in this stance increases at least a full hands length without any extra movement. While combining the elasticity of the quick reflex muscles and the tc rotation of the hips, many of us were adding a foot or more to our reach without leaning or leading with the face.

Master Sensei Bethoney took over the floor again and reiterated what the other three had said.

Then the test began. Dave Hunt got into his Sanchin stance as Duncan tested his stance, and performed a really great Sanchin. Sensei Hunt's Seisan and Sanseiryu were performed equally well as he showed the room how the kata movements transition from power, to balance, to speed, and agility.

Congratulations to Dave for a promotion well deserved. I hope I can get the opportunity to go to Canada for their camp.

I always enjoy working out with these Super Seniors, and I thank them for taking such an interest in teaching the rest of us their "secrets" that make them so good.

------------------
Len Testa
LenTesta

When the VSD fails

Post by LenTesta »

I started this thread to acknowledge some great people who are dedicated to the finer points of Uechi-ryu training, and also to acknowledge the promotion of David Hunt.

But after thinking about the title for a few days now, I wondered if we could turn on the training after humbly trying to talk our way out of a fight.

Do you have it in you?
Can you flip the switch?

------------------
Len Testa

Return to “Verbal Self Defense”