Fighting out of a Clinch/Grab

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Norm Abrahamson

Fighting out of a Clinch/Grab

Post by Norm Abrahamson »

How many folks out there practice fighting out of a clinch or grab? I have sparred with Uechi practioners from different schools, and a recurring practice is grabbing with one hand and hitting with the other. At that point, the fighters are usually separated and go back to the starting line. If you grab a grappler a lot of "interesting" things can happen to you, especially if you don't have much of an idea what to expect because you are used to being seperated at that point.

In our school (Uechi Ryu America, Randolph, MA), we tend to practice grappling and sparring in different classes. We will run through self defense drills involving grabbing that mixes the two together, but not in a "sparring" type of situation. What do other folks do? What kind of equipment/gloves do you use?

Sincerely,

Norm Abrahamson
JoeLauzon

Post by JoeLauzon »

ttt for Joe Pomfret

I train with Joe Pomfret at Reality Self Defense in Bridgewater, MA...doing the grappling aspect we work the clinch with takedowns and knees. Like you said, there is a LOT to be done from here, and the clinch is inevitable in many cases. Sometimes a really good strategy is to pepper them with knees, and then push their head away and shoot in. You can get some VERY effective takedowns from here. The clinch is good for knees and elbows, but not much more because you are in so close, but its great for working your takedowns.

Joe knows more than me, Im sure he will post.
--Joe Lauzon
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I work with this range a lot , being able to control the clinch and knowing the predetermined response you can generate from grabs locks etc , joint manipulations , balance disruption , throws , strikes etc , when it gets to this range you cant be guessing , I only grab for a direct purpose , no armwrestling , to do otherwise is luck , but If someone grabs me my eyes light up as hes offered the opening I wanted .

Knees and elbows are great , lots of throws from a clinch , I can feel the Judoka input already :)
Norm Abrahamson

Post by Norm Abrahamson »

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess what I'm interested in is not so much specific defenses or reverses to grabs and clinches, but why some of you out there don't work with grabs and clinches. Maybe I'm all wet, but my impression from working with a lot of folks at the summer camp was that a lot of schools simply don't pay attention to clinches and grabs. I'm not criticizing, I'm curious as to why. For myself, I don't believe that my striking and defense is so outstanding that I could necessarily stop a strong, committed attacker from reaching me. I know I have to work with these situations.

Sincerely,
Norm
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Norm,
Uechi is loaded with defense to clinches and grabs. I feel the best way to play with them is in the bunkai. The flow of the kumite doesn't allow for that type of play. Sensei Campbell had some nice techniques out of a Kanshiwa Bunkai base. Try substituting punches for grabs, like 90% of the bad guys use out there, and have some fun from there.
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”