Old Book

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
JDeLuca

Old Book

Post by JDeLuca »

I was recently given an old book by a friend that he found while cleaning out his aunt's attic. It's titled The Complete Book of Kano Jiu-Jitsu. This publication was 1961 but it is a work republished from the original 1905 book written by H. Irving Hancock and Katsukuma Higashi.

In this text the term judo is mentioned and is spelled (Jiudo). Higashi writes that Kano choose the term Jiudo to more accuratley describe his system, "But the Japanese people still cling to the more popular nomenclature and call it Jiu-jitsu."

In this text techniques are called "tricks" some of them are listed as "serious tricks" which I assume mean they are more dangerous.

There is often mention of "inferior jiu-jitsu schools" which I assume they mean styles and refers to Kano Jiu-jitsu as the "real jiu-jitsu of Japan."

My favorite quote so far in the book comes from Higashi. He states. "As I have intimated there are many styles of jiu-jitsu in Japan but the others are older and less effective than the modern eclectic Kano method." He also mentions that it is "instinct to turn to the new and best in everything." He also writes that "Japanese who have learned the old and now obselete methods have found themselves compelled to forget their hard-acquired knowledge and take instruction all over again."

Sounds like that Kano was quite a rebel. Can you imagine him changing and thereby claiming to improve old
techniques, rendering them obselete. Image

------------------
J Deluca
f.Channell

Old Book

Post by f.Channell »

Jim,
He was quite a visionary. He revolutionized the education system in Japan. He got Japan involved in the olympic games. He was a member of the international olympic committee and got Japan approved to host the olympics. This first approval never happened because of WWII.
And during the modernization of Japan, when many traditional things were being cast aside, he may have saved jiujitsu from being forgotten as an old fashioned art. He actually had trouble finding schools to train at.
Fighting him was described as fighting an empty gi.
I have a book about him, next time I see you I'll bring it.
And save that book, they're highly collectible.
fred
Halford

The book you have is a Dover edition, probably...

Post by Halford »

:D Teh original book which contains techniques not in the reprints,etc. is much more interesting if you can find a copy. Actually, the methods there bear only a slight resemblance to the Kodokan Judo which came from the Kano methods.

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”