choking/shime waza

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

choking/shime waza

Post by mikemurphy »

I was going to answer this on the other topic, but I really felt that this deserved its own discussion.

Evan sensei offers up some very useful advice about choking someone out and what positio to leave them in; however, what we should understand is that if you are going to perform a caratoid choke (hadaka jime for example), be prepared for a major accident. No one, and I mean no one, can tell what will happen after you slow or stop the blood flow to the brain. Some people may never wake up again. BE PREPARED!

mike
RA Miller

choking/shime waza

Post by RA Miller »

Mike-
The Judo information site has some very good information on this. Properly executed and stopping as soon as the person goes limp the carotid strangles are very safe.
One of the articles gives all known deaths up to 1985. None of them came from Judo (which uses them orders of magnitude more often than everyone else combined) all of them but one were Law Enforcement related and in nearly every instance the cause of death was asphyxia- which indicates a technique improperly applied to the trachea instead of the vascular system.

Rory
mikemurphy

choking/shime waza

Post by mikemurphy »

Rory,

I have practiced shime waza for a long time and am still very leery of doing this safe. The comments I made come from Shiyuza Sato (8th dan Judo) as well as my sensei here in the states. Having spoken with several physicians as well who agree with the idea that losing blood to the head is NOT a safe thing.

I'm not saying, don't practice it, but for those who actually practice putting out people and think there is no reprocusion to it could be sadly mistaken.

mike
RA Miller

choking/shime waza

Post by RA Miller »

Mike-

It's getting lonely here, just the two of us Image

Here's that URL:
http://JudoInfo.com/research.htm

The relevant articles are quite a ways down but the whole site is a goldmine of information.

Rory
Evan Pantazi

choking/shime waza

Post by Evan Pantazi »

No Rory San, Murphy Sensei had just summed it up very well.

I will add a small detail we practice with the choke and that it cutting down instead of up. If you have placed your radial bone against ST-9 and cut in and down it produces severe pain and weakening of the corresponding side of the body. This will allow for less struggling from the opponent in the time before unconscioussness can dispell the threat.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
users.erols.com/kyusho
mikemurphy

choking/shime waza

Post by mikemurphy »

Rory,

Shime is such a lonely thing. :-) Anyway, Evan sensei makes a good point about altering the choke a little bit for safety sake. It's all in the students ability to control.

mike

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”