stereotype (2)

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

stereotype (2)

Post by mikemurphy »

Here's a topic I took from Raffi's forum and changed the bend a little.

Just what is the stereotypical jujitsu ka look like? Or grappler for that matter. Just what is the best "look" for a newaza person?

I've seen some good people and they all look pretty good, but it never ceases to amaze me that it is the one's who don't look like they know anything that usually are the one's to be careful with. Joe Pomfret sensei comes to mind. He's a small guy who does not look too intimidating, but watch him randori or spar in karate and you are simply amazed.

Watching an old tape of Mifune sensei (10th dan Judo) and you'd be just as amazed at what a small, old Japanese guy can do to us big strong gaijin. My jaw just drops to the floor each and every time.

What do you guys think?

mike
mikemurphy

stereotype (2)

Post by mikemurphy »

Geez, perhaps there are no stereotypes at all??? Is there no one or two type of people that are naturally better at jujitsu than others? Maybe we all live in that bubble that believes that everyone can do the arts just as well as the next (blah, blah, blah).

Just kidding, but I really do believe that there are people out there that are naturally better suited to grapple than someone like me. Who are they and what makes them more naturally inclined? Those are the questions we can ask of any art I'm sure.

mike
david

stereotype (2)

Post by david »

Watch out if s/he's ASIAN! That's a typical stereotype.

Ooooooh, He's really CUT! Bet you he can fight. Another stereotype.

Hey, S/he's got a black belt. Watch out! Another stereotype.

Good fighters, in any mode, come in different sizes, shapes, colors and gender. Drop the assumptions. As I said in Raffi's forum. Observe the movement and the spirit. For me, those are better indicators than most others.

david
RA Miller

stereotype (2)

Post by RA Miller »

5'6", 240#, with arms like an orangutang.

My theory- the people most naturally gifted in any fighting style rarely put in the time and effort to develope the extraordinary skill of a Mifune. Would mifune have become that good if he was the biggest kid on the block?

Rory

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”