Realism

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

Realism

Post by mikemurphy »

Panther,

No one said that they want to change the Uechi-ryu at any level. Experimenting with the yokusuko kumite or the oyo bunkai is just that, experimenting. Put it this way, when you jiyu kumite, are you practicing Uechi? Let's assume that is a yes. Are the other people in the dojo doing it like you? If not, they are not practicing Uechi??

Uechi, like any traditional style, is not only in the designed movements, but in the conceptual factors that get you to do those movements. Can I not take those factors onto the floor with me?

Mull that over and let me know what you think?

mike
Panther

Realism

Post by Panther »

Murphy-san,

I'm not a Uechi-ka and when I become a Uechi-ka it will be as a novice... a white-belt, ju-kyu... and I still wouldn't be qualified to answer completely.

With that caveat in place, I guess the point I was trying to make is this... (At least from the stand-point of Goju-ryu, which I studied). While the kara-te arts have elements of grappling (grabbing, throwing, take-downs, joint-locks, etc), those things aren't emphasized, utilized or even done the same way that they are in a ju-jitsu art. My point is that (IMNSHO) there are somethings that ju-jitsu concentrates on and does different (perhaps better-?) and somethings that kara-te concentrates on and does different (perhaps better-?)... If I were teaching someone and could show them, say, a kara-te self-defense technique which has that kara-te style's grappling/throw/etc in it then I would tell the person that technique is contained within that style of kara-te. OTOH, if I were to then show someone a "variation" of that technique that came from a ju-jistu style that I had rank in, then I'd point out that variation or different technique came from the specific ju-jitsu style. As others have said, "more tools for the toolbox"... Before I feel comfortable understanding a style's concepts, fundamentals and basics, I think it's both fair and necessary to know what is purely of that style and what is "borrowed". Once someone has spent enough time and learned enough about a given style, then they can bring in new elements from another style.

There's nothing wrong with obtaining tools from different sources... heck, I have craftsman, mac, snap-on, husky and a few others in my tool-chest at home Image , It's just that if a snap-on wrench is better for an application, I don't think that it came from sears... and if a craftsman wrench breaks I don't try to replace it at home depot.

So, while I see nothing wrong with teaching different techniques from different arts in the dojo, it's my opinion that students (especially those who haven't reached higher ranks) need to understand that those techniques aren't part of the original art. Then the student can make a choice, for better or worse... perhaps the student is there for the "art" of it all and wants to purely learn Goju-ryu (or Uechi-ryu) and (as one student said to me once) has no desire to learn or understand anything to do with any of that ju-jitsu crap... (NOT my opinion Image )
Does that make sense?

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”