Yubi-tori

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
RA Miller

Yubi-tori

Post by RA Miller »

This is mostly for Joe.

I love finger-locks. They are a huge equalizer whether handcuffing a drunk behemoth or in a friendly grapple with a skilled wrestler. But I've never seen one in NHB events (Not that I watch many). Are finger-locks prohibited? Or do they require to much precision or is it something else?

Thanks,
Rory
mikemurphy

Yubi-tori

Post by mikemurphy »

Rory,

I too, love finger locks. They can make a great equalizer, or if nothing else, an atemi for another movement. With that said, they can also be extremely unreliable. Many times people will fight thru that pain and continue on. I know because I seen it on several occasions. Whether it is because they are intoxicated or because a massice adrenalin rush, it's a technique I would not depend on.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

mike
Joe Sullivan

Yubi-tori

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Pomfret

For UFC style competition, some long standing rules have been:
No biting
No eye gouging
No fish hooking
No small joint manipulations

I would like to know more about finger attacks. Sound like an interesting component to have for just the right self-preservation situation.

Perhaps somebody could teach me some?
Malcolm Wagner

Yubi-tori

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Hi Joe,

You wrote,

"I would like to know more about finger attacks. Sound like an interesting component to have for just the right self-preservation situation."

Try Wally Jay's (Small-Circle JJ) tapes for some of the best finger-work I have seen.

Mal
f.Channell

Yubi-tori

Post by f.Channell »

I dislocated a finger and ruptured a tendon in january in the first move of a bunkai. I finished the bunkai and only then noticed it was pointing in the wrong direction. I have taken a seminar in small circle and enjoyed it, but what happened in january has me questioning it somewhat. I saw a judoka in randori dislocate his small toe thursday however, and he stopped quick. Maybe it depends on the pain threshold or mindset. I have a decent threshold for pain.
f.
RA Miller

Yubi-tori

Post by RA Miller »

Joe-
I'd love to spend some time on the mat with you, but one of us lives on the wrong coast!
Wally Jay has done the most extensive work that I've seen with finger locks in his Small Circle style. Dave Castoldi (I may have the first name wrong. Memory! Aargh!) teaches SCJJ in Boston and has an excellent reputation. Look him up.

Rory
RA Miller

Yubi-tori

Post by RA Miller »

Mike-
My experience has been very different. The fingers have so many nerve endings that they stay sensetive longer than anything else when the threat is under the influence. When you base out properly, the only way to "fight thru that pain and continue on" involves breaking one's own fingers. I haven't run into a threat that dedicated yet, but I don't imagine the torn ends of the tendons twisting around under the skin would bring a big lessening of pain Image. In a dojo where you are reasonably certain your opponent has no interest in crippling you it is much easier to tough it out.

Rory
kathy

Yubi-tori

Post by kathy »

I too love using finger-locks. Not only are they useful when handcuffing drunks, but I find them to be very handy when grappling with my husband. There is also a nifty little pressure point right under the armpit that's very useful as well. Right honey???

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RA Miller:
This is mostly for Joe.

I love finger-locks. They are a huge equalizer whether handcuffing a drunk behemoth or in a friendly grapple with a skilled wrestler. But I've never seen one in NHB events (Not that I watch many). Are finger-locks prohibited? Or do they require to much precision or is it something else?

Thanks,
Rory
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lori

Yubi-tori

Post by Lori »

Oh - finger locks. A mother's dream for a rebellious teenager that has grown much bigger than her mother and thinks she's pretty tough stuff... finger locks are great for getting the garbage taken out - silencing a smart mouth or inappropriate comment in public, the applications are endless. Actually - all I have to do is reach for the hand and the behaviour improves instantly! She's even picked up on a few herself and can apply them on boys' hands that might tend to wander too far... and another nice thing is that finger locks don't leave marks. Image
mikemurphy

Yubi-tori

Post by mikemurphy »

Kathy and Lori,

Always nice to have you on the forum!

Finger locks are great for people who have small hands, which is the case for many women (and men for that matter). They are harder to hold on to though in my opinion as the person struggles.

As for using them as a tool to discipline children, I'll have to wait on that on as mine are only 2 and 3months; neither of which need that kind of re-enforcement quite yet.

mike
student

Yubi-tori

Post by student »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikemurphy:
Finger locks are great for people who have small hands, which is the case for many women (and men for that matter). They are harder to hold on to though in my opinion as the person struggles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would the "people who have small hands" be the ukes or the toris in this case? By context it would seem you mean ukes, but why guess when I can ask?
student.
mikemurphy

Yubi-tori

Post by mikemurphy »

Student,

I was speaking about the tori in respect to holding the wrist or other joints; whereas the fingers are easier to grasp.

mike

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”