The Floor/Ground

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

The Floor/Ground

Post by mikemurphy »

Many times when we get into a wrestling match with our opponant, we tend to think that everything must be done with those weapons that "the creator" has given us (i.e. hands or feet). We rely on them as if there is nothing else. Why? Panic? Training? Who knows. Probably a combination of both.

With Joe's seminar a couple of weeks back still fresh in my memory and with my work with a traditional jujitsu system, as well as an intent ear to a student of mine who is an exceptional judoka, we must not forget the magic of the floor/ground.

In a grappling situation, people must look to compression of your opponant without compromising your position. Let gravity do it natural job whether you are on your back or on top of your assailant. Moreover, you certainly do not need two hands to put someone in an extraordinary amount of pain. One hand could be for balance (or whatever) while the other hand in conjunction with the floor could be making the other person cry "uncle."

The point is, that while watching some white belts the other day, I saw the missed opportunities too often and had to say something there and subsequently, here.

mike
Joe Sullivan

The Floor/Ground

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Pomfret

Great thoughts Mike. I tend to say that the floor\ground gives us a unique advantage over our opponent. When our opponent is still standing, he\she can move in any direction and do anything. When the opponent is on the bottom, and we are on top, we know exactly where the opponent can go to escape-up-and where they cannot go-down.

If I know how to maintain a dominant top position and have a few effective submission techniques in my "tool belt," then, eventually, my opponent will make a mistake, they always do, and find himself in one of those submissions.

That seems to be the beauty of it, the panic stricken opponent, flailing about wildly, getting tired, while a calm and collect grappler awaits the inevitable opening to spring the trap.

Just thinking about it makes me want to hit the mats!
Van Canna

The Floor/Ground

Post by Van Canna »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
That seems to be the beauty of it, the panic stricken opponent, flailing about wildly, getting tired, while a calm and collect grappler awaits the inevitable opening to spring the trap.
Excellent point, and one I learned very quickly when on the mat at Joe's seminar.
Reminded me of the days I was doing Judo on the mat and my eyes would go glassy.

Add the panic of a street fight, the thought the opponent might well kill you instead of getting you to tap out, and you will be gasping for air and tiring yourself out in seconds.

And this also happens when fighting standing up..think about it.

------------------
Van Canna

[This message has been edited by Van Canna (edited May 03, 2001).]

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”