belated kudos

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

belated kudos

Post by mikemurphy »

I know Joe Pomfret is getting all the congrats on Van sensei's forum, but I wanted to say congratulations to him here as well.

It's so great to see someone use their Uechi skills and grappling skills together. I bet you suprised the s**t out of that guy!!

Great job Joe!!

mike
Joe Sullivan

belated kudos

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Thank you Mike, Student, and Len.

I so appreciate the way our organization is rallying around reality based training by supporting my match.

Even if people didn't make it to Joker's to actually see the fight, I know they were there in spirit.

Len, you give my intellect too much credit, I wasn't planning on my adversary reading my post. Although, thank you for the idea for June 23rd.

Tony "TNT" Ventura is a great fighter that fell for an old trick. I stared at his leg, making him think, "low Kick coming," then went to the head as my gaze was still fixed on his leg.

Joe P.
student

belated kudos

Post by student »

Fake a low kick, use a high kick, eh?

May I suggest that part of the success of the low kick feint may have been his knowledge of your Uechi-ryu - a low kicking system - background? And that you made your actions fit his preconceptions?

Good luck. Go Joe!

student
Van Canna

belated kudos

Post by Van Canna »

I don't know about that. Image

The kick took off so fast that even if Tony had read it right, I still think he would not have been able to react to it with a block.

Reminds me of the movie "Billy Jack" _ when Billy told the sheriff he was going to kick him in the head and there was nothing the sheriff could do to stop it.

Remember the lesson of action [ the right action] beating reaction every time.

Joe may have led Tony along the primrose path with the eye faint, but I think he would have scored anyway even if he looked right at him and told him he was going to kick him in the head.

Let's watch the video and discuss further. Image

------------------
Van Canna
student

belated kudos

Post by student »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikemurphy:

It's so great to see someone use their Uechi skills and grappling skills together. I bet you surprised the s**t out of that guy!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially when he didn't use the grappling skills. Image

And don't misunderstand me, I'm not putting down grappling here. But Joe won his last fight with grappling, a fact with which I'm sure his opponent was familiar. My point is that Joe may have won by fighting a fight his opponent did not expect.

The congratulations are still due Joe, period. Image

student
LenTesta

belated kudos

Post by LenTesta »

If you read all of Joe's posts, you will remember that he said that this guy he was fighting was a replacement of the original person he was supposed to fight. Joe also said that he knew that this new fighter was a ranked kickboxer and that he was going to bring the fight to the ground right away.

I don't know if Mr. Ventura reads these forums, but Joe made a classic, tactical, media manuver that many professional athletes use all the time. Say it one way in print and do it another for real.

Joe is not only a great fighter he is also a great thinker! He covered all of his bases without letting anyone (especially his opponent or anyone who is connected with his opponent) know of his real plans. Remember also what Yogi Bera said about baseball...Half of the game is 90% mental. Joe proves that the same goes for fighting.

------------------
Len

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”