Jujistsu & High School Wrestling

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Knuth

Post by Knuth »

For those who have done both, do you think jujitsu will help someone in wrestling?

I had some contact with jujitsu back when I was around 12 and have probably forgotten most of it now Image. While I think wrestling is more about raw, savage power than technique(at least in HS wrestling Image) I think the tactical knowledge gained from jj might be a big help.

Thanks for any tips.

------------------
Ryan Knuth
Be like Water.
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Ryan,

I posted this very same subject about 6 months ago because I was helping my high school wrestling coach with a little bit of Jujitsu for the team, and I thought it was an interesting topic.

What I found out, and I know nothing of the rules of HS wrestling, was that I could show the kids a ton of stuff to help them. They were so excited to learn and actually came back to me to say thanks after they tried the techniques in a match.

I think the best things that I taught them was the very discrete things, like how to distract before doing your move; working from stomach, without being turned, the use of certain pressure points, and even a throw or two. I guess the answer to your question is yes, it does help, but suppose it depends on who and what you are teaching.

mike
Knuth

Post by Knuth »

Thanks a lot. I will have to look some more into jujitsu. Thanks again.

------------------
Ryan Knuth
Be like Water.

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”