GRACIE

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
Malcolm Wagner

GRACIE

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Hi Joe,

I am very envious of the opportunity to train with one of my heroes, wish I could be there.

It hurt me to see Renzo's elbow dislocated by Sakuraba a few Prides back, damnit!!!Renzo had that fight.

I only saw Renzo act un-gentleman-like on one occasion---after his fight with a Judoka named Stryker, he stepped on Strykers neck while he was passed out---but he was younger then, and I have no idea about their past history.

Anyway, he has no idea who I am, but give him my regards, and thank him for the inspiration that he and his whole family (Rickson especially) has given me.

Good training to you,
Malcolm Wagner
Joe Sullivan

GRACIE

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Thanks for your reply Malcolm!

I saw that fight where he stepped on that Judo guy's neck too after beating him...not very nice of Renzo. I think it may have been the heat of the moment because I saw Renzo hugging him and apologizing for his action.

Why can't you go? Do you live too far away? Do you train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Later Malcolm
Joe Sullivan

GRACIE

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Joe Pomfret here,

Anyone interested in improving Reality Ground skills?

The great RENZO GRACIE will be in our very own Fall River at JBA Jiu Jitsu for a two-day seminar (Saturday and Sunday on August 18th and 19th from 12:00 P.M. to 4:00P.M.)

This training is for beginner through advanced. I believe it is needless for me to say, but this is a tremendous opportunity for anyone to add some serious reality fighting tools to their tool belt. Renzo is known for his UFC, Pride, and Brazilian Vale Tudo fights. He never ducks a fight from anyone and will take on matches with virtually no-notice. On top of all of this he is a gentleman and an all-around great guy!

If anyone out there is interested, please e-mail me at Joeyrsd@cs.com, or call my cell (508 517 8098).

The cost will be $130.00 for both days and $70.00 for just one. A small price to pay for skills that are proven and WILL make you, and your students better martial artists \ fighters.
Malcolm Wagner

GRACIE

Post by Malcolm Wagner »

Joe,

I live in Louisiana, lucky me.

I want to say that yes, I do study BJJ, but I have to say, no, not officially.

I study Isshinryu karate, Yang Tai Chi, and Kundalini Yoga.

The Jiu-Jitsu we study comes from creative interpretation of our Isshinryu kata---full of throws, locks, and ground fighting. We also attend seminars, watch tapes, read books, then get in the dojo and go freestyle.

My JJ basics come straight from the Gracie Total Defense CD-Rom---have you ever checked it out. Also watching NHB events in slow motion to catch the leverage and submissions.

When I first started Isshinryu I loved it (and still do), but it soon became apparent that we were missing a key element---what to do when we missed our reverse punch and found ourselves flat on our backs---man, what a different world.

If you are not familiar with Isshinryu, it's like Uechi in that our stances are higher and more natural. We also use a vertical punch instead of the traditional cork-screwing type---with the thumb on top it strengthens the wrist. We also use very low kicks exclusively. It's an "In your face style" that has not been Japanized like many other styles.

The style is a mizture of Shorin-Ryu and Goju-Ryu----really the best of both worlds. Most of the grappling comes from the Naihanchi Kata, but the other kata contain throws and submissions if you know what you are looking at. Ever do Sanchin while lying on your back? Very interesting bunkai.

Anyway, thanks for the space.
Mal Wagner
Joe Sullivan

GRACIE

Post by Joe Sullivan »

Hi Malcolm.

I have seen this cd rom...good stuff, it has the basics, which is what you will revert to should the real deal take place.

You might want to invest in the Gracie intermediate series. If I could only have one instructional tape series and had to throw all of my others away, that is the series that I would choose to keep.

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your training.

later.

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”