Doubts

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
AlBabaev

Doubts

Post by AlBabaev »

I have been doing JJ and Grappeling for a little over 2 months. I enjoy it very much
but I am getting some doubt as to whether or not this is the art for me. I am have the most difficult time with my throws (O-Soto-Gari, O-Goshi and De-Ashi-Harai). Its not that I’m out of shape or anything but I just keep on positioning my self the wrong way. i.e. Instead of using my hips and his body weight I end up trying to lift him using my shoulder.

Anyway, I posted this because I was just reading a different post that descries how one can get hurt if throwing the wrong way…
Is this normal? Did you guys have the same problem? If so when did you start doing the correct way?

------------------
-Albert
f.Channell

Doubts

Post by f.Channell »

Albert,
I've Been training for a year in judo and I'm still not happy with my throws but I know I'm doing them better than I was 6 months ago. These throws look deceptively easy at first but take some time to get going with. Then you have to use them in randori and combine them with other throws, yikes. Give it more time, you probably have more skill than you realize, maybe your looking to do them as well as your senior students. Ask them how long it took them, the answer is probably years.
f.
mikemurphy

Doubts

Post by mikemurphy »

Albert,

Could you get hurt falling? Most certainly! But that's why we practice ukemi in the first place. The idea is to get better at hitting the ground so that you don't get hurt and therefore are still in the fight. Think about that for a second, when you throw somebody to the ground, you have that initial 2 or 3 seconds to do something else to him or get away. Sometimes that's all you need.

Anyway, using the shoulders or back to throw someone is very wrong, but you haven't been doing it that long either. Give yourself time and practice a lot. Hopefully, you will learn the correct way of throwing so that you don't hurt yourself in the process.

mike
AlBabaev

Doubts

Post by AlBabaev »

Your right, I had a really good class last Friday and after working on my own for a few days I noticed an improvement. Your right it does come with hard work and allot of time and experience. I still have a long way to go to fully perfect my throws...I guess I was being a tad hard on my self.
Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Albert

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by f.Channell:
Albert,
I've Been training for a year in judo and I'm still not happy with my throws but I know I'm doing them better than I was 6 months ago. These throws look deceptively easy at first but take some time to get going with. Then you have to use them in randori and combine them with other throws, yikes. Give it more time, you probably have more skill than you realize, maybe your looking to do them as well as your senior students. Ask them how long it took them, the answer is probably years.
f.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”