Phillip Porter and Seminar

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Well, aside from the major brain fart on my part for scheduling a seminar on the Jewish holidays, the recent seminar went very well.

Sensei Porter (father of American Judo) was terrific on the mat...all 76 years of age!
He was extremely easy to listen to and left us all some great grappling tools to play with from the aspect of sport judo to simple ground fighting for real.

I must say, however, I can do without the business aspect of the seminar, but that's just part of the game I guess. But, the information was great, and I hope that all who went had a great time as well.

mike
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Oh, by the way, for those of you who didn't come out and see this man, you missed a great opportunity. People like him are not going to be around for long. If you are like me and like to hear about things from different perspectives then you should have been there. If you think your sensei knows everything and there is no need to search out perspective, then I wish you luck :-)

Mike

PS I think Porter sensei will be somewhere in Taunton later this year.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Mike,
Had a great time, the business stuff didn't take away from the knowledge gained. I'll have to make the next one as well. I'll bring more money for t-shirts then. Favorite quote of the week, "if you don't hurt them, they'll never remember your name".
If he has a website maybe you could put up a link?
f.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

mike,
found the site. heres an interesting bio on him. For those who missed it.
http//:www.mararts.org/bio/porter/index.htm
Hope that links good.
f.
mikemurphy

Post by mikemurphy »

Fred,

You are too quick for me. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. He is certainly a very good teacher. I got a lot from the seminar. He told me he will be in Taunton next month at some point, so I'll look out for that.

Be careful of a biography written by the same person. Porter's life has certainly had its ups and downs, but I'll defer judgement.

mike

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”