anymove?

Reopened!!! The jujitsu forum will focus on traditional and non-traditional Jujitsu/grappling arts.
mikemurphy

anymove?

Post by mikemurphy »

To those of you who train in Jujitsu or the grappling arts, this is for you to play with. I know we all train our particular techniques whether for form or for practical use (i.e. randori, or reality), but do we practice a thousand different techniques because we need certain ones in certain situations? That's the big question.

I say this to all of you. Take a move that you like, such as wakigatame, like we did at a recent seminar. Then, get yourself into any grappling position you like and use that move to get out of the position. We did it from a standing position, attacking position, guard, side mount, and front mount. I'll tell you now that you will find endless possibilities. Will they all work for you? Probably not, but it doesn't matter because it will certainly give you a different perspective on what you are doing.

Give it a shot and come on back and tell me about it.

mike
f.Channell

anymove?

Post by f.Channell »

Mike,
I was trying out waki last night but couldn't get it to work against a baseball bat swing. Elbows tend to stay bent out of that strike. It works good in other situations though.I used it in conjunction with the 5th move out of the Nihon Kihon kata, to the floor and submission.
f.
mikemurphy

anymove?

Post by mikemurphy »

Fred,

I'm not sure how you were striking but if I'm imagining it the way I think a "baseball" strike should be then I would say it would work just as well as anything else. First of all, you need to block the swing. My suggestion is to step into the person and negate the power of the strike. Then, grabbing the arm, step out in either direction (depends on whether you are doing an open or close waki). Stepping out should straighten his arm. If it doesn't, then move on some angles until he straightens out or at the very least use an atemi to distract him from the arm.

Does that make any sense?

mike
f.Channell

anymove?

Post by f.Channell »

Yes mike it does but I found that elbow was still very well bent. Maybe a kick might distract, I don't think i'd let go once I got both hands on that bat! I'll keep trying to make it work.
f
mikemurphy

anymove?

Post by mikemurphy »

Fred,

Movement is the key!!!

mike

Return to “Jujitsu/Grappling Arts”