Friends don't let stupid friends drive SUVs

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I love your Passat, Van! You got it at the right time. The Euro has skyrocketed w.r.t. the dollar since then. You've got yourself a good monetary exhange windfall.

Blind spots all over? Compared to what? Compared to your Passat? Yes. But...

I got in one and drove it. I could see all around better than my van, except for up in the rear view. And unless I need to see the boobs on that woman I just passed... :shocked!: I believe I'm covered for looking out the back as far as what I need to see, and there are absolutely no issues for seeing "all around."

That's the point. It's a relative issue. And the criticism is an easy one given the sloping rear line (which makes it look pretty cool, and allows for a very innovative easy-access tailgate). The visibility out the weakest point (the back) is better from a practical standpoint than you get with either a van or an SUV. This is why they're putting in those infrared sensors on all those vehicles now.

On more than one occasion, I've had issues seeing out the back of my van. In the first week I owned it, I ran into a car (that I could not see) which was illegally parked behind me on the curb in a fire zone. Pissed me off...but that never happened again. There was that one time when a Corvette snuck up behind me in a parking garage, but he expressed himself quite loudly. I know not to go quickly when backing out.

So on a relative basis... Compared to what I'm driving now... I'd rather have the Magnum.
AM/FM stereo radio with in-dash, 6-Disc CD/MP3 player and Navigation System that utilizes DVD technology. This sophisticated, yet simple-to-use navigation system guides you to your precise destination through the use of Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite technology and an onboard computer. The system offers turn-by-turn route guidance with voice instruction, automatic re-route calculation, and enough memory to store 100 personal addresses. Unit includes a geographic DVD with routing directions for the entire mapped United States and parts of Canada.

- Bill

Return to “Realist Training”