Married guys

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Bruise Lee

Married guys

Post by Bruise Lee »

How much housework etc do you do?

Today I mowed the lawn, took out trash X 4, swept and mopped the floor.

May still empty the dishwasher and put it away.

Kind of an average Saturday.

Do you tend to do more or less?
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

During the winter I may do a lot of that, but come spring I start with the yardwork. Keeps me busy almost all day on a weekend. And an hour a day in the garden and tending the pool.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Chris McKaskell

Post by Chris McKaskell »

I've got some tasks -- not assigned, just things I gravitate toward and so tend to own.

They include: yard work -- mostly maintanance (she tends to look after planting stuff, although I'm always around for heavy lifting) and getting garbage/recycling to the curb.

repairs and improvements are a biggie -- it's an old house!100 years plus. so this can range from replacing eavestrough and capturing/relocating animals in the roof to tuck pointing and painting etc. etc.

Then there are the things that just plain need to get done.

So I also deal with cooking (50%),laundry(35%), dishes(10%), grocery shopping (25%), finances (65%), getting kids to school etc. (35%), pet care (35%), vegetable and herb garden (not to be confused with yard work -- 60%), income (50-70%), house cleaning(25%).

Seems equitable. I wonder if she'd see it this way :? :lol:

Did I miss anything?
Chris
Chris McKaskell

Snow shovelling (90%) !!!

Oh, and in our house, I am the MA instructor 100% of the time! 8) :lol: :lol:
Chris
Panther

Post by Panther »

In our house it's 50/50... 1/2 the time she's holding/changing/feeding the baby... the other 1/2 the time I am... besides making the money to pay for gas, food, diapers, baby clothes, etc... we don't have time for anything else. :mrgreen:
Chris McKaskell

I'm guessing no one else wants to admit how little they do around the house! :P :P :P
Chris
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I don't vacuum but I spend a half hour a week unclogging it when she picks up things with it that should be picked up by hand. :roll:

Or when she changes the bag and forgets to put in a new one. :o

Or when she runs over the electric cord and I need to replace it....... :evil:

But actually vacuum.

Not really. :lol:

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Van
Chris McKaskell

Okay, so maybe it's really that no one wants to admit how much they actually do work around the house! 8O :roll: :wink:
Chris
Chris McKaskell

I forgot about the vacuum. Yeah, I'm with Fred on that one. :roll:
Chris
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

I don't clean the toilet either but guess who unclogs it.

One time although I said not to flush those moisturized baby wipes, she did anyway, and I had to unbolt the toilet from the floor and flip it over and tear out those wipes with pliers.

What's the worst thing your wife has ever busted?

F.
www.hinghamkarate.com
TSDguy

Post by TSDguy »

I don't have to do anything other than earn money, because the things I do around the house are "wrong". I put all the clothes in one load rather than sorting colors or materials because, well, it's worked for my entire life. But she insists on sorting, so now she does all the laundry. I put the groceries away wrong also, so now she insists on doing all that as well. :roll: :lol:
gmattson
Site Admin

Guess I'll have to give lessons

Post by gmattson »

on domestic chores for males. . .

1. On the first day living together, insist on doing the dishes. Be sure to break at least three plates and a couple cups.

2. Be sure to vacuum up the pieces, but also be sure to leave many behind.

3. Take out the trash, but be sure that the bag breaks, leaving a trail of small garbage from the house to trash pickup place.

4. That should take care of your chore duty! :) Worked for me since 1969! :)
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Jason Rees
Site Admin

Post by Jason Rees »

Do my own laundry, dry dishes, take out the trash, sweep living room, kitchen and halls, take care of our basement workout area, shovel in the winter, and mow in the summer (except this year, of course :wink: ). That about sums it up.
Akil Todd Harvey

Post by Akil Todd Harvey »

cooking (10-20 %) I am the back up cook and primary dishwasher
dish washing (80-90%)
auto repair (including self repairs and those contracted with outside agents - 90%).
fix things around house (80-90%)
catch & remove dead and live critters from house (90%)
trash collection & removal (90%)
answers the door/investigates scary noise's/loud thumps & bumps (99%).
Lift heavy objects/retrieve groceries from car (90+%)
Organize moves before and after/organize home so thing needed can be found (90%)
Vacuum (5%)
clean (10%) things like the stove and other surfaces, etc...

my wife has a lesser tolerance for messes than I

I have a lesser tolerance for disorganization than she.

She is the neat one and I am the organized one (there are times when we are neither neat or organized and there are times when we are both of these.......

My wife, Iskandaria, is now a doctoral candidate with a 3.98 gpa (she got an A-, her first in grad school) working on her dissertation and her last two classes.

The field of Instructional Systems is concerned with the processes for creating effective, efficient, and engaging learning environments and with the improvement of educational and training programs through the application of research and technology. This area of specialization incorporates principles from numerous disciplines including education, psychology, communications and management with the practical aim of improving instruction, learning, and performance.

http://insys.fsu.edu/

Finally, After taking the time to express my extreme pride at my wife Issy's accomplishments, I must express my displeasure of most academic research done regarding household studies specifically uz they tend to deliberately ignore men's traditional work done at home and then report that men are not doign an equal amount of work at home.

News Flash! If you deliberately EXCLUDE the work men prefer to do at home (and that is work women often, but not always, encourage men to do), you can then make us lok bad by claiming we do not do much around the house.

Ignore the work men do and then claim men are lazy (it is not intellectually honest, but folks do not complain much and it sure helps sell magazines).
Seek knowledge from cradle to grave

Return to “Realist Training”