Prime Time Execution

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
Kevin Mackie

Prime Time Execution

Post by Kevin Mackie »

Any opinions on whether or not to televise the execution of mass murderer Tim McVeigh?

This is a tough issue and if you care to debate death penalty in general, (if it ever applied to anyone, well he's the poster boy)fine, but this is a done deal, so with that in mind, should it be shown? If so, for what benefit to society? Would you watch it?

Kevin
Panther

Prime Time Execution

Post by Panther »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Mackie:

Any opinions on whether or not to televise the execution of mass murderer Tim McVeigh?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's asked that it be televised, so I say let him get his "final wish".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
This is a tough issue and if you care to debate death penalty in general, (if it ever applied to anyone, well he's the poster boy)fine, but this is a done deal, so with that in mind, should it be shown?
Not so sure I agree with the way the question was posed, but the short answer is: Yes.

If so, for what benefit to society?
Does there have to be a benefit to society? I don't think so in this case.

Would you watch it?
Undetermined at this time, but I sincerely doubt it.
Allen M.

Prime Time Execution

Post by Allen M. »

I couldn't care less.
Mary S

Prime Time Execution

Post by Mary S »

"Final wish"? Did the people he killed get to make a "final wish"? Why should he get one?

And why should he be glorified with television coverage? I see it as glorification - five minutes of fame.

Isn't it bad enough that an event like the OJ Simpson trial had its own "theme music" on CNN? Image

No wonder I don't watch television that much anymore.

Would I watch it? No.
Panther

Prime Time Execution

Post by Panther »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mary S:
"Final wish"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...

Did the people he killed get to make a "final wish"?
Nope...

Why should he get one?
Good point.

And why should he be glorified with television coverage? I see it as glorification - five minutes of fame.
True enough.

Isn't it bad enough that an event like the OJ Simpson trial had its own "theme music" on CNN? Image
That's the fault of the media, not the court. Image

No wonder I don't watch television that much anymore.
Smart person... Image

Would I watch it? No.
Much more important to train anyway... Image
Ian

Prime Time Execution

Post by Ian »

Well, the anti-death people want it shown so people realize its cold blooded murder. The pro-death people want it as a deterrent. The people opposed either don't want to satisfy McVeigh (good reason), or think its tacky to be honest and face up to what they're doing (pathetic reason). I think if there's any part of our criminal justice system that is too shocking or inappropriate or inhumane etc to put on television, we ought not to be engaging in it.

I personally won't grieve for the animal, but neither do I kill or eat animals. And I wouldn't ever kill another person (or couldn't imagine doing so now) unless someone's health was at risk. Or be the "doctor" that takes the vitals after the killing. Or be the "nurse" that sterilizes the IV site before inserting the line used to kill the patient. What the heck is that about? The multiple appeals for the DP cost more than life in jail (or so I've heard) and at least we could put him to work there. My $.02

Return to “Realist Training”