Parallels to other arts/alternative med/spiritual practices

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
Ryokan

Parallels to other arts/alternative med/spiritual practices

Post by Ryokan »

I was searching for some information on the Net last night, and came across a karate site that used acupuncture points to describe striking targets.

I also read in one of the Barefoot Doctor's books (he practices wayward Taoism), that putting the tongue to the roof of the mouth completes the yin-yang energy channel that flows up the spine and down the front of the body. In Goju, we're taught to breathe in through the mouth with the tongue in this position.

Because I like to connect things up, what are some other similarities you have seen between your martial art and spiritual or alternative medicine practices?
KerryM

Post by KerryM »

Well- I really found a connection without even meaning too.- I would be in class- really focusing- and I would notice that my vision actualy changed- It hard to describe- but I found that if I bring forward that "re-focus" I can reach mushin- faster- there is something about the motion with excersize-

like doing round house punching- durring class with secondary excersizes- if you sink into your sanchin stance and let the energy from the "chakra" points flow- it brings a much more complete feeling- for me anyway- to the workout-

I don't "teach" per se the chakra points- but for my own work out- when I started paying attention to my own- it made a big diffrence-- many of my little habits fell away-

Things like that- and the breathing- that is most most important. That was key to really hitting a further level for myself.

Takes practice that's for sure-

I love it though- it keeps me healthy on the inside as well as on the outside. :)

Thanks for such a good question!

Kerry

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”