The Art in our system

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
Rick Wilson

The Art in our system

Post by Rick Wilson »

When people speak of the Art in our system I often feel they slip off the martial path.

Now understand that the following is my own opinion.

If we wish to learn merely to hit efficiently enough to stop the common attacker and perhaps a little above that then good boxing school would be very effective. Within three months they will have you hitting very effectively. Visit a Mauy Thai school or a good kick boxing school and you can also add in some effective kicking.

So in a few months you can handle most striking encounters. Take in a BJJ seminar or start wrestling and you can cover even more situations.

So why then did I bounce around until I found Uechi Ryu and why have I stayed there?

My students work hard at hitting hard I and I am usually pretty happy with their power generation in a short period of time.

So why continue to study striking?

Because once you have the basic effectiveness covered then you begin to look deeper. You begin to discover those wondrous principles that can give a martial artist the “appearance” of super strength or abilities. I am not talking about anything magical or mysterious. This is simple physics and properly applied body mechanics and principles.

The depth of the system is endless an as I discover more then I learn more about myself. There is something very special about having the proper body mechanics working as you perform a Kata or drill. This is where you may begin to experience things beyond the simply physical.

It is here within the depth of our study that the art begins to emerge. The mental benefits and the spiritual benefits are found in the depth of our martial practice. These deeper principles and mechanics

The art is in the depth of our practice that does not exist in the solely physical practices that are given up as we age and can no longer function at the level we did.

The art is in this depth of practice that makes older practitioners legends and create stories of what they can do.

So when people talk about the Art in Martial Art and try to describe something that does pertain to the martial way I am confused.

There is beauty in dong a form with the moves and energy flowing. There is beauty in feeling that strike and the energy expressed from it. This can transport that Kata to an entirely new level of experience.

But this cannot come without delving into the depth of our martial practice.

To merely do the moves and meditate is a practice lacking purpose and direction. How do you know the alignment exists to allow proper relaxation unless you allow yourself to feel and experience.

There is SO much depth to our system. There is SO much art in our system.
CANDANeh

New Year looking good

Post by CANDANeh »

Most inspiring post of 2004 in my opinion.
The mental benefits and the spiritual benefits are found in the depth of our martial practice. These deeper principles and mechanics

The art is in the depth of our practice that does not exist in the solely physical practices that are given up as we age and can no longer function at the level we did.
This doesn`t magically appear, it comes at a price. However, it is time and effort well spent. "Shortcuts" are a fad that normally die before the practioner does.
There is beauty in dong a form with the moves and energy flowing. There is beauty in feeling that strike and the energy expressed from it.
To truely experience that beauty for yourself and not just being told it exist and therefore only shadowing "those that have come before". It does require training in the principles and mechanics as Rick indicated. Someone once posted that a kata can be like "A flower blooming or a flower wilting", the flower of kata can only truely bloom if you learn to understand what can cause it to wilt. If it doesn`t bloom in kata it don`t bloom at all..therefore look again.
Had to comment on the post Rick, a tasty cup of tea it is.

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”