Losing faith in your sensei

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.

Moderator: gmattson

Losing faith in your sensei

Postby risingstar » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:55 am

As an instructor with a school and having had only one Sensei - I am at a loss. My Sensei made some promises to me and then broke them. Now he says he is retiring. I would like to open my own school, but am not sure how I would promote my students. How does one find a new sensei? And how do I get past the bad feelings of betrayal from my past sensei?
risingstar

Postby paul giella » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:05 pm

Risingstar, Where are you? GEM keeps a long list of Uechi-ryu resources and could certainly put you in touch with a quality sensei. As for the disappointment, try to separate the art from the man, be grateful that you were introduced to a wonderful art and move on.
paul giella

Good advice Paul

Postby gmattson » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:27 pm

"Rising Star" has contacted me and we will find a solution.

Lots of "scumbags" sneak into the martial arts and some of these individuals use their status to mess-up students' lives. That is why IUKF was created around the "codes of ethics/conduct". These "codes" were created to inform students of their rights.

It is a shame that "Rising Star" didn't read about those rights when first getting involved with the dojo and instructor.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
gmattson
Site Admin

Postby risingstar » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:36 am

Thank you for the replies! And Sensei Mattson thank you very much for your suggestions, I will be taking them.
risingstar

Return to Mind-Body-Spirit Forum