A personal milestone...

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
2Green

A personal milestone...

Post by 2Green »

When I started training in Uechi, I suddenly seemed to encounter a lot of friends whom, at some time in the past had also trained to some extent.
They gave me feelings of "been there, done that too.", or "you're just starting NOW?! Boy, do YOU have a long way to go!"
But all those people at some point along the way dropped out.

Some of them said they trained for a few months; a year; a few years, and got to whatever level. I was in awe of them of course, they having done this "so long ago".

(It's a funny thing: when you think ahead time seems like forever, but looking back it seems like yesterday...)

Anyway...they all dropped out and left it behind, and this includes the vast majority of my fellow classmates when I started, except for one lady friend who is still training.

At this particular point in time I can finally look them all in the eye and know (but won't point out by mentioning!) that I've gone further.

Hope this doesn't come across as a self-back-pat; perhaps someone reading this is just starting out and could use a little jog to continue.

NM
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Be proud Neil many drop along the way but you have not.

It is not self back patting, Sir, it is indeed a milestone to be very proud of.

:multi:
Randy Pelletier

Post by Randy Pelletier »

I have been with Rick for some time now and we have all seen people come and go. At some point in their training, you begin to understand who is there to reach a milestone or personal goal and who is there for the lifelong learning.

The group may get smaller over time due to reaching goals and moving on but the ones that stay for the long term are the absolute best to train with and learn the most from. The term quality over quantity applies to an effective dojo and teacher as well.

You are free to pat yourself on the back as to me it means that you are not goal and status oriented, but rather have the deep desire to learn and continue to grow over your lifetime.

The color of your belt to many is a status symbol. Continuing to learn for the long term is completely for yourself in helping to reach your potential. At that point for me, I found the belt no longer matters and I was in this for life.

Well done Neil!
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I missed this first time around , Well done Neil , its all about keeping on keeping on :D
Four Winds

Post by Four Winds »

When I started Uechi-ryu a year ago I was 46 and the dojo was 60 miles away. They have a free two week trial. At the end of two weeks the Sensei said "Why don't you just try it out for another two weeks. After four weeks he again said the same thing. Finally after six weeks I sat him down and made him take my check. After I had been there for six months I had an occasion to sit and talk to him and he said "I'm glad you stayed, I don't get many adult students". That was when it dawned on me. He didn't want to take my money because he didn't think I was going to stick it out.

Today I understand why.

4W
No one ever got what they wanted by settling for less

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”