BAD Martial Artist!

Contributors offers insight into the non-physical side of the Martial Arts, often ignored when discussing self-defense.
gmattson
Site Admin

BAD Martial Artist!

Post by gmattson »

Time to discuss the cults that pass themselves off as Martial Arts Schools.

For the past few months, a few of the seniors and Attorney Al Kunian have been communicating with a woman who has been through quite a traumatic experience, involving a martial art's school.

Her story is not unusual. I've heard from at least ten other individuals who have had similar experiences.

The experience cost this particular person over $10,000. As a secondary insult, the great "Master" sexually assaulted her and attempted (and almost succeeded) in destroying her confidence, her marrage and her life.

There are martial art schools on every street corner. Many of the "Masters" were roofing and siding salesmen last year! Many of them are criminals. Many of them are wanted in other states.

But in their school, they are "Masters"!

Do you know who your "Master" is? Do you know his background? The source of his "Master" certificate?

Do you know how long he has been known by his current name?

Would you buy a used car from this "Master"?

Do you put common sense and good reason aside when you enter the "Master's" office and listen to how he/she is going to change your life, make you a fighting machine. . . and it will only cost you a thousand dollars. . . to start!

Do you push your commons sense aside as your "Master" tells you how "special" you are and how you are perfect for the "Master's" Black Belt program. . . Which will only cost you another 'thousand'. . and will allow you to visit the "Master's" home for extra-special lessons?

Do you ignore all the other warning signals, because, after all... He/she is the "Master"?

Who do you tell, once you finally figure it all out.
========================================
Time to discuss it. Please don't use names. We are only interested in learning how to avoid these "Martial art schools from Hell!"

------------------
GEM
Tiger

BAD Martial Artist!

Post by Tiger »

I too had a similar experience the best advice I can give is Pay attention to how he socializes with you, is he flirting, does he act differently toward you than the other students, is he attempting to have any personal relationship with you outside of class, if so trust me he is not an honorable instructor because it is not good for the image of Martial Arts nor his business image to do that. You will only run into Trouble. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gmattson:
Time to discuss the cults that pass themselves off as Martial Arts Schools.

For the past few months, a few of the seniors and Attorney Al Kunian have been communicating with a woman who has been through quite a traumatic experience, involving a martial art's school.

Her story is not unusual. I've heard from at least ten other individuals who have had similar experiences.

The experience cost this particular person over $10,000. As a secondary insult, the great "Master" sexually assaulted her and attempted (and almost succeeded) in destroying her confidence, her marrage and her life.

There are martial art schools on every street corner. Many of the "Masters" were roofing and siding salesmen last year! Many of them are criminals. Many of them are wanted in other states.

But in their school, they are "Masters"!

Do you know who your "Master" is? Do you know his background? The source of his "Master" certificate?

Do you know how long he has been known by his current name?

Would you buy a used car from this "Master"?

Do you put common sense and good reason aside when you enter the "Master's" office and listen to how he/she is going to change your life, make you a fighting machine. . . and it will only cost you a thousand dollars. . . to start!

Do you push your commons sense aside as your "Master" tells you how "special" you are and how you are perfect for the "Master's" Black Belt program. . . Which will only cost you another 'thousand'. . and will allow you to visit the "Master's" home for extra-special lessons?

Do you ignore all the other warning signals, because, after all... He/she is the "Master"?

Who do you tell, once you finally figure it all out.
========================================
Time to discuss it. Please don't use names. We are only interested in learning how to avoid these "Martial art schools from Hell!"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tiger

BAD Martial Artist!

Post by Tiger »

Unfortunately you can't go by their background because if you are coming off the street you don't know anything about legitimate certificates and in my case the instructor was training since he was like 9 years old in dozens of competitions, lots of trophys and well know, with the appearance of being respected by other instructors we came in contact with. Also was a judge at many tournaments, so I think social issues are defenitely key along with instinct. I would be anxious to hear how others feel about the issue. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

I too had a similar experience the best advice I can give is Pay attention to how he socializes with you, is he flirting, does he act differently toward you than the other students, is he attempting to have any personal relationship with you outside of class, if so trust me he is not an honorable instructor because it is not good for the image of Martial Arts nor his business image to do that. You will only run into Trouble.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Allen M.

BAD Martial Artist!

Post by Allen M. »

For over 15 years I walked into new dojo across the US and started practicing at the places of my choice. One of the primary components of my selection equation was to look at the faces of the students as well as their performance. If they looked good and looked happy, I was interested in taking it one step further.

Sometimes when in a new town, circulating yourself around, tell the local master you are new in town and looking for the best dojo possible. They have no trouble digging up dirt about the other dojo in town. If two or three "masters" say the same things about the same dojo and they are negative, then credibility into the negativism begins to estabish itself.

A real neophyte may not be able to discern and dissect that stuff, therefore he would do well to have a dojo recommended by his friends. Also, a visit to the local police station for a congenial visit with the chief, if new to the area, is helpful. BBB may also provide something.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Mills75

great topic

Post by Mills75 »

I got my advice on choosing a master from you G.E.M. and you gave him high marks and being a student for a while in his dojo I agree that your high marks were more than deserved..my sensei has a career and makes martial arts his path and his way..he cares very little for money and is among the true masters from the okikukai holding the rank of renshi rokudan with over thirty yrs of experience and quite a bit of it was on the island of Okinawa with masters like Takara and Takamiyagi and many other Uechi greats so I truly thank you for your advice and I agree when it comes to finding a teacher go with one who leads by example and has the credentials..also one who is just as high in morality as he is on the ladder of martial arts skill..I truly feel very fortunate to be a student of Dr.Rinchuse and I thank you for helping me make that decision by providing me with even more info then I had before contacting you.. He is a fine man and martial artist that I benefit from not only in martial arts knowledge but in all knowledge so once again thank you and you are also a fine man yourself best wishes...

Mills75

Jeff... :o
Ronin1966

BAD Martial Artist!

Post by Ronin1966 »

Good Morning.

It is very hard, if not impossible to tell a bad martial artist, a bad master, a bad teacher. Unfortunately, tragically they wear no sign!

Before making a commitment, whether to a person, for example in a personal relationship... or committing to a new hobby... spending ones time, energy, efforts to make said thing work... caution is required. Start carefully, and see if their words match their actions. Does some claim sound too incredilous to be true...? Do you not like the vibe from that person?

Follow your gut feeling.

Whatever you do, NEVER, ever be alone with them, unless you are 10,000%certain that you trust them. When and if you do, you are an adult, and either consent to XYZ or do not. Cheap Trophies are $10. Just because something is written in a foreign language does NOT mean "my certificate" of prowess says what I claim it to be. Talk to other adults in the program. Talk to lots of people. Watch carefully what is being taught. Is that atmosphere a place in which you will be comfortable? That particular approach to instruction one you value? If not seek learning elsewhere...

Sadly there is no easy blanket formula for detecting the pervert, the fraud, the criminal. If you can encounter anywhere else in the world then you can find them in the dojo :cry: , either as a student or a teacher. Caution is the rule.

Buyer beware... always,
Sincerely,

Jeff
~Self-Defense~: Learning how to get out of one's own way! Kara-te: Learning how to smile in the face of all things...

Return to “Mind-Body-Spirit Forum”